Which is Better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is Better?

Should I just buy an inverter since I already have a built computer to put in my truck, or should I start all over with an opus and spend more money? What's the best way to eliminate noise using an inverter? Thanks!

If you have the money I would go with the opus. I do not have the money yet, so I am using a Inverter for a temporary solution. There are various ways to reduce noice with an inverter such as using ground loops, and propper grounding. You also have to consider a shut down controller, I picked up my 400watt coleman for $20 and the Mucho shutdown controller was $35 so, for an extra $145 I could got the 150watt opus. It will also make a difference as to what type of inverter you have, I have 2 a tripp light and a coleman, have got to test them to see which one makes less noise. Its really up to you. If you need your car computer now and don't have money then go with the inverter, otherwise go with the opus. I plan on getting one in the future.
    CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
    Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Originally posted by berdine3
      Should I just buy an inverter since I already have a built computer to put in my truck, or should I start all over with an opus and spend more money? What's the best way to eliminate noise using an inverter? Thanks!
      Depends on your definition of "best". Imo, Opus is best.

Opus pros: Small, Efficient, Quiet, Built in shutdown controller, Should survive engine cranks.
      Opus cons: Relatively expensive, More difficult to power PC in the house.

Inverter pros: Inexpensive, Simple to power the PC in the house.
      Inverter cons: No shutdown controller (you have to do your own thing), Inefficient, Bulky, Potentially noisy.

Rob
      Old Systems retired due to new car
      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

will an opus work with my athlon 650mhz computer and asus motherboard? what size power inverter should I use? Ground loops will kil some noise, but will I lose alot of quality sound too? Thanks for your help!

Comment

I'm getting by with a 125w inverter running a PIII 550mhz, DVD-ROM, Fans, 128mb RAM, 20g HD and I have NO NOISE whatsoever form the inverter.

Comment

That sounds simple, did you have to ground everything together, like the case, inverter, and your car stereo?

Comment

The funny thing is not really. I definitly grounded my head unit up front and was sure to properly run/ground the power line feeding the inverter but other than that, no. I was very suprised when I first fired it up to find an almost silent line even at higer volumes. The only thing I can think of is that my power and aduio/video line is run in seperate from the power using a very thick RCA cable. Also, my inverter reside in the base of my comp case, which is metal, but I doubt that really does anything.

Comment

Thanks For the help! I will be working on it this coming week, time to do some shopping!!

Comment

Working...
                X