Opus Wires Guage Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus Wires Guage Help!

What gauge wires are recommended to connect the + - and ground wires. I'm using the 150w opus. Also the wires that come with the opus are silver coated can i connect them with copper wires?

The recomended wires are 12 AWG (gage, same thing), some people use 10, (woopty doo, I say). You can connect the silvey coated copper wires to any coper wire, use crimps or something permenant like that. Don't be silly and use electrical tape, that's a no-no.
    http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

Comment

I'm thinking about using this add-a-circuit http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...39&PID=1268128

and connect the 12v+ to it instead of running the wires through my firewall and connecting to the battery. I have the 150w opus and i'm going to to be using 12AWG wires for the 12v+ will a 10 amp fuse be ok?
      Originally posted by Cherub211
      The recomended wires are 12 AWG (gage, same thing), some people use 10, (woopty doo, I say). You can connect the silvey coated copper wires to any coper wire, use crimps or something permenant like that. Don't be silly and use electrical tape, that's a no-no.

Comment

10 AMP fuse? Are you sure you won't be taking more than 10 AMPs? Especially if you have the 150W Opus...???
        06 Volvo XC90
        Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
        Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

Comment

150W / 12v = 12.5A ... you should probably ise a 20a or 30a fuse mikey.
          My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

ok but the add a circuit fuse adapter says Max rating: 10 amp. So i guess i won't be able to use this thingy. What other options do i have because i really don't want to go through my firewall??

Originally posted by shakes
            150W / 12v = 12.5A ... you should probably ise a 20a or 30a fuse mikey.

Comment

I don't see any reason why you couldn't replace those 5a fuses with 2 10a fuses and get 20a out of that thing ... it depends on what guage that wire is.

do you have any amps? if so just use the power wire you used for them as your source.

if not you could find an existing power wire in your car and splice off of it with a 'tap' style connector. The only thing here is you need to make sure you find a line that has enough overhead to support your opus.

for example in my car i wasn't using the head unit anymore ... and the headunit had a 20a fuse dedicated to it ... so i just used that line.

it helps if you have a schematic of your car's electrical system
              My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

to be honest with you it doesn't list what gauge the wire is. I'm going to find out. What gauge shuold it be for a 2-10a?

I don't see any reason why you couldn't replace those 5a fuses with 2 10a fuses and get 20a out of that thing ... it depends on what guage that wire is.

do you have any amps? if so just use the power wire you used for them as your source.

if not you could find an existing power wire in your car and splice off of it with a 'tap' style connector. The only thing here is you need to make sure you find a line that has enough overhead to support your opus.

for example in my car i wasn't using the head unit anymore ... and the headunit had a 20a fuse dedicated to it ... so i just used that line.

Comment

I used 12 gauge on the 12V and GND wires and 14 gauge on the 12V Ignition wire. These are the same gauges as the wires that are included on the short wiring harness that comes with the PSU. I have had no problems. I have the 150W Opus and have it wired directly to the battery with a 15A in-line fuse right near the battery connection. Of course, it helps that the battery compartment is in my trunk and so is my computer.. The opus has an internal fuse also, but it's always a good idea to fuse as close to the battery as you can when you are doing your own wiring. Be careful tapping off of existing wiring as you may easily overload a circuit with the Opus. It can get pretty power hungry when you start powering a lot of stuff with it
                  MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
                  See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
                  Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
                  Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
                  BMW I-Bus Integration
                  My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

Shakes

Hey shakes

That wire is 16-18 gauges. What do you think can i put in a larger fuse than 10a

Comment

The OPUS owner’s manuals calls for 10 gauge wire for the 12v+ and ground wires and 14 gauge wire for the ignition trigger. You need to keep in mind that the OPUS power supplies continue to operative during engine cranks for the sake of argument lets say 8 volts. At full capacity, 150 watts that would be 150 watts/8 volts = 18.75 amps. Under sizing the power supply wires might cause the wires to heat up (or start a fire) during high current draw time such as an engine crank.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyg35
                        Hey shakes

That wire is 16-18 gauges. What do you think can i put in a larger fuse than 10a
                        you shouldnt put a larger fuse in than what it comes with from the factory. Look for a pre-drilled hole in the firewall to run a larger guage wire through. I know my civic had a predrilled hole with a rubber stopper in it right beside the battery. You could try running through the firewall at the same place as the A/C , clutch line, brake line, etc.
                        2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I think i will have to run the wires to the battery. What about the ignition wire from the opus. Can i use that add a circuit fuse adapter with a 10a fuse in it for the iginition or is that not enough amps?

Originally posted by binary.h4x
                          you shouldnt put a larger fuse in than what it comes with from the factory. Look for a pre-drilled hole in the firewall to run a larger guage wire through. I know my civic had a predrilled hole with a rubber stopper in it right beside the battery. You could try running through the firewall at the same place as the A/C , clutch line, brake line, etc.

Comment

ignition wire can be run with a fuse adapter, it only requires VERY little amperage, check the OPUS manual for exact number but i think its somewhere in the mA ballpark.
                            2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

i checked the manual unfortunately it doesn't say. It just says to use a 18awg wire for the ignition.
                              Originally posted by binary.h4x
                              ignition wire can be run with a fuse adapter, it only requires VERY little amperage, check the OPUS manual for exact number but i think its somewhere in the mA ballpark.

Comment

Working...
                              X