how far can 90w go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how far can 90w go?

I know I saw a calculator once but I can't find it again (i did search) anyway I'm ganna run a full size ATX board, 1600xp processor, 2 80mm fans, hard drive, and DVD rom will 90w be enough?
    90 Jeep Cherokee
    7" Lilliput
    Streets and trips 04
    epia M10000
    Windows Xp
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/606828/1

Originally posted by MAXXMODDER
    I know I saw a calculator once but I can't find it again (i did search) anyway I'm ganna run a full size ATX board, 1600xp processor, 2 80mm fans, hard drive, and DVD rom will 90w be enough?
    Here is one calculator, but the all disagree, so don't rely too heavily on it.
    Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

if you have all the equipment you can do your own calculations ...

if you don't already know Power = Voltage * Current (W=VI)

so like on your CD ROM it will have Voltage and Current requirements, multiply the two together and that's teh max power you'd need for that device.

Get the number for your hard drive, do some research on the board (it may tell you in the manual or on a tech doc on the website) ... and just guess for the fans if you don't have a meter to measure.

then just add em all up.

remember each usb device can use a max of 500ma at 5v (2.5W)
      My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by MAXXMODDER
        Are you talking laptop DVD and HDD, or full size DVD and HDD? Those will probably make or break you in this instance.

Just guessing, since I don't have the specifics on your hardware (like Shakes rec'd) I would say you're over 90 watts. You mobo alone could be 50 to 60 watts, add in a power hungry AGP video card and full size drives and you're over 90 easy.
        So far:
        M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

I don't think 90 watt would be enough for that specific config. If you used a less power hungry motherboard it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Zip-Lock
            I don't think 90 watt would be enough for that specific config. If you used a less power hungry motherboard it would work.
            and a less hungry cpu, tha cpu "consumes" about 40 a 50 watt
            Newbee, sorry for my bad english. lol
            Trying to built a carmp3 systeem

own psu: max788, pt5071, pt5024

Comment

Working...
            X