Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Focus (UK) and Opus

Hello,

I'm just about to install my Opus into my Ford Focus but after studying the wiring diagrams (Ford TIS) I can't for the life of me work out where to feed the power from - Had anyone done this in a Focus and can offer some advice on where to get at least the ignition power from?

Thanks

Steve
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

The yellow cable in the ignition switch harness is the ACC line that you can tap into. There should also be a line going to the radio, probably yellow, thats also ACC.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Does it matter about current draw through the ignition, am I right in thinking it doesn't draw anything?

I have a harness going up towards the ignition with many cables in it, one is yellow. Is there an easy way to test this? My car is under Ford warranty so I have to be careful and not cut anything!

Comment

YOu can test any cable with just a voltmeter that you can pick up at radio shack. If it reads 12v when the car is on and off at all other times, then its the ACC line, just splice into it. Current draw for the ACC line on the opus is something like 10 ma or something real small, so no it doesn't matter.
        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

OK, I'm wiring up my Opus 90watt, and I'm pretty clueless about this too. Let me see if I understand this:

The red wire is pulling the main power straight from the battery.
          The black wire is going to ground.
          The yellow wire is drawing a small amount of current from the accessory line.

If I don't connect the yellow wire, I won't get any power out of the Opus because it will think the car is not running, right?

So if I was using those fuse box taps, I would want to tap the red wire into a constant-on power (I can't think of anything that would be a good example), and the yellow wire into a ACC powered device (like the cigarette lighter). And I can hook the black wire to just about any bolt/screw that goes into the chassis.

Is that right?

Also, what size fuse should I use on the yellow ACC line? (for a 90 watt Opus)

Thanks in advance. I know this should be easy, I just don't want to fry anything by being stupid or assuming things.
          So far:
          M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Got it in working, found a suitable cable and now have the Opus alive and well!

Thanks for you help!

Comment

I know stevieg got his working but... I can attest to the fact that some Foci have 12V access all the time through the power point/cig. At least my Canadian version 2000 Focus ZX3 had constant power.

Comment

Yes mine (UK Focus) has that too through two cig blugs one in the front one in the back, I had to seperately wire in however for switched power by the ignition to surn on/off the car pc

Comment

Steve,

I have a Focus 2002 too and am about to run my cables from front to back, including power. Quick question: did you get your 12v direct from the battery (i know opus recommends this, and i did it in my last car)? If so, how did you get your cable from under the bonnet to under the car? In my last car i put the cable through the 'firewall' (?) rubber grommet, but although i haven't looked yet i don't really want to be taking my dash apart as it's 2 years old and still has some value and I'm not the best at DIY anyway!!

Getting the ACC shouldn't be a prob as i can take the head unit out and get to the ACC from the back of that - is that the wire you used?

Also last question (sorry) i take it you ran your wires under the trim? Was it easy to pull up the trim and wire the wires through - where did the wires end up in your boot?
                  Was there room for them to get to the boot, or did you have to hack anything?

Thanks Steve, sorry for so many questions!
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dansoton
                    Steve,

I have a Focus 2002 too and am about to run my cables from front to back, including power. Quick question: did you get your 12v direct from the battery (i know opus recommends this, and i did it in my last car)? If so, how did you get your cable from under the bonnet to under the car? In my last car i put the cable through the 'firewall' (?) rubber grommet, but although i haven't looked yet i don't really want to be taking my dash apart as it's 2 years old and still has some value and I'm not the best at DIY anyway!!

Getting the ACC shouldn't be a prob as i can take the head unit out and get to the ACC from the back of that - is that the wire you used?

Also last question (sorry) i take it you ran your wires under the trim? Was it easy to pull up the trim and wire the wires through - where did the wires end up in your boot?
                    Was there room for them to get to the boot, or did you have to hack anything?

Thanks Steve, sorry for so many questions!
                    Dan
                    I have not hacked up anything. I took the ACC from under the steering wheel but on the head unit is probably just as good if not better (using tap-in). I have used the Cig. power in the back as the permanent live for the Opus, as my kit is so low power I haven't had any problems. This is because I cannot find anywhere easy to get the wire from the battery into the cabin - there is so much ***** in the engine bay!

I used the ford TIS (can get for about 3 on CD from ebay) to find out how to remove trim etc, I ended up in the boot under the removable carpet and pushed the wires through one of the holes in the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                      I have not hacked up anything. I took the ACC from under the steering wheel but on the head unit is probably just as good if not better (using tap-in). I have used the Cig. power in the back as the permanent live for the Opus, as my kit is so low power I haven't had any problems. This is because I cannot find anywhere easy to get the wire from the battery into the cabin - there is so much ***** in the engine bay!

I used the ford TIS (can get for about 3 on CD from ebay) to find out how to remove trim etc, I ended up in the boot under the removable carpet and pushed the wires through one of the holes in the corner.
                      Thanks Steve, i'll have a look for that CD, I'll also investigate how to get to the battery directly if it is possible - just worried that the wire to the cig lighter is going to be quite thin - but if you haven't had any probs then maybe i'll just go with that!

Comment

Working...
                      X