No announcement yet.

Please help me pick one PW80w or Molex?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me pick one PW80w or Molex?

between these two dc-dc power supply below, please help me select one.

1. Mini-Box.com PW-80
    2. Idotpc.com molex dc-dc

this is what i'm planning to have running on the power supply:

a. nforce2 micro atx motherboard with an underclock 700 - 1200mhz athlon .13 micron cpu
    b. 1 9.5mm laptop hard drive
    c. 2 usb devices

monitor is already power by a seperate dc-dc. which dc-dc power supply above be the best for my application? are there any other choices out there that i should consider? and are in the same price range? i dont want to spend more then 60 bucks.

thanks a bunch.

here is the link to my project currently running on a lappy: lcd in rl the reason to go for the nforce board because of the 800x480 resolution that i can get out of the integrated geforce mx video in the nforce board to run my lcd.

thanks guy

I am not real knowledgeable on the Molex stuff, but I am pretty sure the link you provided

2. Idotpc.com molex dc-dc

to the iDot site is not a PSU. It is a pre-regulator... i.e. it regulates the 12V input from the battery to the PSU...

As for the Mini-Box boards, I have a PW-70A and love it.... works great for what I need and the size is great....

Comment

thank you for your response. i thought the idot car dc-dc was a complete power supply. look at this picture here

anybody else who has an opinion to offer here? i'm planning to order in a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by yourbigfun
        thank you for your response. i thought the idot car dc-dc was a complete power supply. look at this picture here

anybody else who has an opinion to offer here? i'm planning to order in a couple of days.

Yeah, now that's a full PSU with a input regulator.... The link you originally gave was just for the Regulator.... But I see where you are going now and I would think that would supply enough amperage for your system... but I really don't know the exact amp draw you will get with that system.... 12V is usually the bottle neck on all power supplies....

Just my two cents I would go with the PW-80A for size (room) considerations. I like how it directly plugs into the MB (no ATX cable taking up room) and it is basically a non-volume added device....

That may not be important to you, depends on your location for the computer... It was important to me because I am mounting everything in the dash....

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by yourbigfun

I'd like to hear any comments too. I'm ordering my power supply either today or tomorrow.

Comment

i will take your recommendation and go for the PW-80A, plus, the molex kit is still on pre order status.

i also have my existing laptop 12v dc-dc regulator. i can put the 12v of the laptop regulator and the pw-80a 12 rail together for more current on the 12v rail?

thanks

Comment

Working...
            X