Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus remote switch

Hi there,

I'd like to rig my Opus 90 so that I can turn it on, even if the car is off, all without leaving my keys in it. This way, I can pcAnywhere or Remote Desktop into it from my home, then shut it down via windows when I am done.

Any reason why this circuit will not work? The items in red are what I am adding. I figure putting a diode in line will prevent 12v from going back up the wrong pipe and causing shenanigans in my car circuitry.

Thoughts?
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

I cant see it not working...try it

Comment

The only problem might be that the Opus will sense that the IGN line is still "hot", and once you shut it down from Windows, it will start the PC back up again. I seem to remember this happening one night for me...came out in the morning to a dead battery

Garry
      Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
      www.aimee.cc

Comment

The only problem might be that the Opus will sense that the IGN line is still "hot", and once you shut it down from Windows, it will start the PC back up again.

I thought hes controlling the remote on/off switch via the AUX remote of the alarm? or maybe not cause then he would have said so.

If hes gonna leave the switch closed...yeah like you said the PC will restart.

Comment

Ah, good to know, didn't realize the Opus would try to 'help' me out by restarting the PC.

Ok, that might not be a deal breaker as I may just turn it off manually then, but I'd still like to be able to have it on independant of the IGN. Does my simple circuit cover the bases?

Thanks!

Comment

how would you trigger your spst relay? It's the same as just putting the 12v constant to the ignition line.
            Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

I've set it up the same way, except with 2 diodes. The switch also powers up my WLAN adapter.
              I'll check if opus starts up the pc if it is manually shut down. I thought it didn't.

Comment

I would also suggest a diode on the battery side as well.

I been thinking about that and it make sense but then I dont think it have any effect though.

Comment

how would you trigger your spst relay? It's the same as just putting the 12v constant to the ignition line.

Via alarm aux remote control perhaps? remote central locking? That what Ill do anyway

Just have to retrigger it if he wanted to extend the time.

Comment

resurrected....

how did this work out for you? i'd like to do the same thing, but have a 3-position switch.
                    1. Off
                    2. Acc
                    3. On

1 would send nothing to the Opus remote wire
                    2 would send the ACC line to the Opus remote wire
                    3 would send 12v to the Opus remote wire from the battery

that way i could have total control of having the opus on/off.

another note, when i "shutdown" my computer, it turns off the opus and there is no way to get it back on until acc is cycled. so this switch would help me with that also.

i dont know electronics, but it looks like a switch, some wire, and maybe some diodes are all i'd need.

thanks
                    2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4WD
                    Opus 90W, Epia M210K, Lilli 7" TS, 30GB, CDR/DVD Slot, PowerMate, Earthmate, 200GB Seagate 3.5", Verizon BroadbandAccess, CentraFuse, Valetine1 .....

Comment

I ended up not doing it, but I'm thinking of doing a 3 position switch exactly like you just mentioned. It seems like the least complicated, best way to do it.

Comment

cool. let us know if you do... i was just going to wire it up to a switch, not use "diodes", but then... i dont even know what those are, so it shows what i know.

details would be great when you're done - input from anyone else would also be appreciated
                        2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4WD
                        Opus 90W, Epia M210K, Lilli 7" TS, 30GB, CDR/DVD Slot, PowerMate, Earthmate, 200GB Seagate 3.5", Verizon BroadbandAccess, CentraFuse, Valetine1 .....

Comment

Working...
                        X