Opus Alternative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus Alternative

I had asked Arise Computer For a quote on an ACE-865V AT Power Supply. When they responded to my inquiry, They informed me of a 100 Watt ATX DC-DC PSU for $79. I present you the MPD-810-ATX I was quoted $79. Seems like a steal for those of us tired of opus's delays

Interesting...If only I hadn't just bought the opus
    EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
    Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
    XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

dont spose u asked the price of the 6.4 and 12 inch vga lcds?

Comment

Input voltage: 10-30v. This may not survive a crank but for the price, looks good.
        2004 4runner

Comment

I own one of those - it is great 'cept it doenst survive crank on my 2003 A4 with a stock battery. Otherwise they are good stuff, especially for the price......Of course i had it hooked up to the radio harness power wire - which is 16 ga wire. But there is no cut in power when the engine cranks.....

just my $.02

Edit: I owe alot of credit to None, he helped me out when picking the Arise unit and when hooking it up. For $79 + the Muchas SDC for $35 i came in @ $115 for a 100 Watt PSU with auto shutdown/sttartup (with a bit of wiring). Search for his posts, he has been talking about the Arise forever.
          Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

i just can't understand how you guys drop to below 10 volts when cranking. especially the 4 cylinder guys.

Comment

could be that the guage wire i had caused an abnormal amperage loss @ the terminals and nothing woulda survived crank...i will know this summer when i run 4 ga wire to the trunk for it and the 500 watt amplifier....

Comment

What does this mean: "Total Output Power: 85 watts with no fan , 120 watts forced air" (copied from the site) Does it mean that if I just hook up a fan to it then it will kick out more juice? That seems....weird. Finally, another weak question, does this come loaded with the connectors to just hook to the mobo, hard drive and dvd/cd drive? (It does say 'ATX')
                Panelrodder
                1953 GMC Panel Truck
                2007 Pontiac G6
                2008 Chevrolet Silverado
                www.lunacium.com

Comment

Originally posted by panelrodder_81
                  What does this mean: "Total Output Power: 85 watts with no fan , 120 watts forced air" (copied from the site) Does it mean that if I just hook up a fan to it then it will kick out more juice? That seems....weird.
                  Yes, that's exactly what it means. Not weird at all, most IC regulators have a higher output with active cooling, since they generate heat in direct proportion to the amount of juice flowing through them.

Nobody pays attention to me except you, jusatry. I've seen you on Audiworld.

Comment

Hey, when a fellow member of the fine state of Utah says something I'm all ears! I understand the computer portion of this project but the electrical, and wiring part is were I get lost. I just don't have any experience with it at all. My education, like I said, it limited to putting the componants together and using the computer after it is built. Sorry for the silly question but thanks for the help! None, I belive that you are using one of these powersupplies right? (Based on another post) Successful? Again, did it have the connectors to just hook right to the hardware?
                    Thanks
                    Panelrodder
                    1953 GMC Panel Truck
                    2007 Pontiac G6
                    2008 Chevrolet Silverado
                    www.lunacium.com

Comment

if you have hooked up a "normal" powers supply, you can hook this one up. The only thing to be concerned about is that the PS_ON and one other (not so important) connector need to be hooked up to a seperate portion of the power supply, but its just sticking jumper pins in place. If you search for a thread i startred, None posted pictures that make it REALLY clear. (thanks again None). I can tell you, when the PS is working, even not hard, it gets HOT. Like "dont touch that or the brackets it is mounted with" hot. So a fan on/near it would be a good idea, especialy ifyou want to push it hard. Just my $.02.

Comment

i'm planning to get the MPD-810-ATX power supply. but didnt you say above that it runs very hot without a fan, too hot to touch? i was about to order it but concern about this since i'm planning to mount it in my cabin (under the glove box) it would be a fire hazard to run something hot with the carpet and other plastic nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by yourbigfun
                          i'm planning to get the MPD-810-ATX power supply. but didnt you say above that it runs very hot without a fan, too hot to touch? i was about to order it but concern about this since i'm planning to mount it in my cabin (under the glove box) it would be a fire hazard to run something hot with the carpet and other plastic nearby.

I just meant that the sucker gets hot and it makes sense that forced airflow might allow more power....I had mine bracketed to a piece of hardwood but it was also velcroed down - and the velcro being plastic + glue never had a problem, and that was the directly to the base of the PSU. I just think it is "hotter than you would want to touch" hot, but not "start a non-electrical fire" hot. I would say 1 fan would solve any heat problems you may anticipate...the PSU has a 12V jumper pin for a 12V fan of its own....

hope that helps

Comment

hey, you say this thing won't survive a crank. Is it possible to put in a a 15V or 18V (or possibly higher) Zener diode to dissipate any voltage higher than 15/18 V so that the power supply doesn't take a large hit?

Comment

Originally posted by frostband
                              hey, you say this thing won't survive a crank. Is it possible to put in a a 15V or 18V (or possibly higher) Zener diode to dissipate any voltage higher than 15/18 V so that the power supply doesn't take a large hit?
                              The problem isnít the higher voltages - it can take from 10 to 30 v - itís the lower voltages. If the battery drops below 10V the psu will shutdown. Some cars drop a lot below 10v when cranking.
                              Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
                              Status -->
                              Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
                              BraveCar 2.5

Comment

Working...
                              X