Opus help (quickly)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus help (quickly)

I'm in the middle of installing my Opus now! 2 small, very small questions.

1: It says that the Blue wire needs to be connected to Accessories. My headunit has accessories and a remote turn-on wire. Can it be to the remote wire, or does it have to be accessories?

2: In the manual it says to put a switch for the accessories wire running to the Opus. Is that 100% necessary?

Thanks guys!
    AUDI A4, 2.6 V6
    Audio: Morel, Audison, Hertz, Stinger, Pioneer
    Carputer: Mirco ATX, 2.4gHz, 256ram, 80gig, 7"touchscreen, Opus

Unfortunately, that's the end! Was good while it lasted, but gotta sell the car.

incase you dont wanna turn it on you'll need that switch. you can also set it up for you dont need a key to turn it on with the same switch
    Pete Kastner www.KastNERD.com

Comment

don't install, a switch, i just installed my opus, and it is pointless, if you are using you head unit, like me then the remot turn on wire, turns off when you switch off your radio, which is like a switch, the only time you would want that is if you turn on your headunit but your carputer is off, but the main reason i put in a carputer is for music, so when my radio is on that means i want to listen to songs from the carputer

Comment

Thanks guys.

So close now. So does that mean it's safe to connect it to the remote turn-on wire (of the headunit), or should i use the acc wire?
        AUDI A4, 2.6 V6

Unfortunately, that's the end! Was good while it lasted, but gotta sell the car.

Comment

I'd use the accessory wire . . . . that's the way that I've wired up the opus in my vette, and it's worked well for over a year.
          '02 Z06 -- 439RWHP / 408RWTQ
          EPIA M10000, Xenarc 700TSV, Opus 150w PS, 120GB WD HDD, LS1 Edit and EASE, custom telemetry and datalogging
          '03 Excursion -- 372RWHP / 520RWTQ
          EPIA M10000, PW70A, 200GB WD HDD, Kenwood 911DVD

Comment

Either is fine, both turn on with the key turned.
            Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Key difference, is that the headunit remote power lead switches on/off with the headunit. If you're using the PC for little more than just MP3s, this may not be disasterous. On the other hand, if it's for general use and you don't have the opus to stay afloat when the acc line drops . . . . . probably not the behavior that you're looking for.

As many have said before . . . they'll all work . . . its just a matter of when you want the thing to power up / down.
              EPIA M10000, Xenarc 700TSV, Opus 150w PS, 120GB WD HDD, LS1 Edit and EASE, custom telemetry and datalogging

Comment

How do you find acc?

How do I find Acc wire without volt meter? cig lighter does not seem to work for 90w blue wire. Cannot shut down the pc COMPLETELY. It does shut down but reboot again.

Let me know how the connection to the headunit work out for you.

My connection to the cig lighter is not working well.

Comment

Typically the switched accessory line is yellow . . . . although the location will vary under the dash. If you don't have easy access to a VOM, you can typically 'find' a hot/accessory line with a 12v LED, a couple short pieces of wire, and a needle -- Attach the cathode to a short piece of wire & ground [if an easily identifiable ground wire isn't handy, just ground against the chassis / something metal in the dash], and use the needle [extended w/ wire as needed] attached to the anode as a probe for likely suspects. Basically, use the needle to pierce the PVC jacket of the wire you're testing, and look for light [or, switched light].

It's a cheap trick for finding what you need w/o tapping or cutting unnecessarily . . . be careful that you don't end up grounding yourself out, etc . . .YMMV, batteries not included.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys!

Got the Opus all up and running. It runs my system well, apart from the noise/feedback (see "Noisy Opus" thread).

I wired it to my Remote trigger wire of the headunit.

1 more question. I've set the Opus power down with a 20min delay. When i turn off my car, should the Opus go into stand-by mode or just keep on running normally for 20min? Mine just keeps running normally for 20min after turning of my car.

Thanks again
                    AUDI A4, 2.6 V6

Comment

Working...
                    X