Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to understand shutdown controllers, etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to understand shutdown controllers, etc.

So as I understand it, with a 150W Opus PSU, with a shutdown controller, my PC will do the following:

When I turn the key in the ignition, the PC will turn on.
    When I turn the key off, it goes into standby or hibernate.
    When I turn the key on again, it boots up from standby.
    *repeat*

Am I correct? Will I need any software whatsoever, or is it completely hardware controlled.
    Providence is borne on the breath of prophecy.
    P4 2.66 | 1024 MB PC3200 | 4x Memorex DVD+RW | Memorex 52x24x52 CDRW | 200 and 60 GB HDDs | Antec 400W PSU

Your system board & OS need to support this in the first place.
    Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

If that's the motherboard's duty... then what purpose does the shutdown controller server?

Comment

You don't need a shutdown controller with an opus, it is built into the power supply. You have to set the os to standby when the power is turned off (turning the key off). Also have to set the bios to start from power loss.
        Installed
        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Providence
          So as I understand it, with a 150W Opus PSU, with a shutdown controller, my PC will do the following:

When I turn the key in the ignition, the PC will turn on.
          When I turn the key on again, it boots up from standby.
          *repeat*

Am I correct? Will I need any software whatsoever, or is it completely hardware controlled.
          providence, when you turn off your engine, sdc will count (based on whatever set/given timer) and when it finished the given time, it will send a pulse to the mobo as if you press the power button. based on what you set the "acpi" on the bios for, it will either shutdown or standby. the automatic "resume on power loss" will turn the mobo "on" when you start you engine is set on the bios of the mobo, sdc has nothing to do with it.

danon
          [....99.9%]
          [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
          [....99.8%]
          [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
          [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

Comment

Originally posted by danon
            providence, when you turn off your engine, sdc will count (based on whatever set/given timer) and when it finished the given time, it will send a pulse to the mobo as if you press the power button. based on what you set the "acpi" on the bios for, it will either shutdown or standby. the automatic "resume on power loss" will turn the mobo "on" when you start you engine is set on the bios of the mobo, sdc has nothing to do with it.

danon
            The ITPS is a startup/shutdown controller (& regulator) So when you turn on your car, the ITPS sends a pulse to your m/b switch. With the ITPS you don't set your m/b to 'resume on power loss'.
            Laidback

Comment

Originally posted by noodles
              If that's the motherboard's duty... then what purpose does the shutdown controller server?
              The purpose of it is to interact between car & PC. How would the m/b know whether the car is switched on or not? The controller recognises which state the car is in. It also sends pulses to the on/off switch, keeps supplying power to the pc while it's shutting down & the car is off, turns off all power to the pc afterwards etc. (depending on which SDC you get)
              Laidback

Comment

Originally posted by danon
                the automatic "resume on power loss" will turn the mobo "on" when you start you engine is set on the bios of the mobo, sdc has nothing to do with it.

danon
                Check this for Opus -
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ht=opus+reboot
                Laidback

Comment

It wouldn't matter if you set "Resume after power loss" with the Opus, because you don't have a power loss when you shut the car off. The Opus continues to get power from the batt even with no key in the ignition (when wired correctly).

Comment

Opus owner manuals...

150w
                    90w

On the 90w, removing jumper JU1 will turn off all standby power after the shutdown sequence.
                    Laidback

Comment

I don't want to start a new thread so I've a question :
                      how do you safe your pc from reboot or smth , when you're starting the engine ? The power goes down , so do you use any stabilizators or smth ?
                      WV Scirocco V8 (1984 :)
                      Intel Celeron 433MHz / 32 MB ram

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates
                        how do you safe your pc from reboot or smth , when you're starting the engine ? The power goes down , so do you use any stabilizators or smth ?
                        your are talking about "surviving a crank". use the search function of this website with this words and you'll find tons of info. i myself have a second battery as my "tank".

danon
                        [....99.9%]
                        [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
                        [....99.8%]
                        [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
                        [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates
                          The Opus has a wide input voltage, which means that even when the battery voltage drops during cranking, the Opus will continue to run. That is one of it's best features.

Garry
                          Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                          www.aimee.cc

Comment

Thnx
                            WV Scirocco V8 (1984 :)
                            Intel Celeron 433MHz / 32 MB ram

Comment

nice!
                              this post answered quite a few ?s i had about shutdown controllers..
                              thanks!
                              peace
                              seamonkey420
                              "knowledge is power, spread the power"
                              check out seamonkey's guides to xbox and dvd at:
                              http://www.geocities.com/seamonkeyguides
                              or
                              http://www.geocities.com/daseamonkey420

Comment

Working...
                              X