MiniITX VIA TC-10000 w/ 12V DC-DC built in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiniITX VIA TC-10000 w/ 12V DC-DC built in

I was just reading the review on the VIA MiniITX TC-10000 at http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=76 .

It apparently has a 12V DC-DC built in to the mobo. I checked the spec of the DC-DC converter http://www.viavpsd.com/product/3/4/epia-tc_v120.pdf .

It mentioned that the Input is 12.6V MAX and 11.4V MIN. Now I know that the voltage fluctuation from the alternator can exceed that.....

What do you guys think? It would be great to save ~150 bucks on an opus if this works...but I don't think the DC-DC converter on board might not be able to handle it....

ok you saved on powering the mobo, what about your HDD, DVD and so on. You still need a PSU.
    Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by arkadiyp
      ok you saved on powering the mobo, what about your HDD, DVD and so on. You still need a PSU.
      check out the spec of the mobo and the review...it has multiple voltage output on board.......

Comment

It powers HD, floppy, optical, etc. Did you read the article?
        Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
        http://hallert.net/

Comment

oh

my

god.

Thats friggin awesome. it uses laptop ram. it has a PCMCIA slot. Compact Flash. 6 USB ports.

and its available now for less than $200.

It is a pity that you cannot boot from the CompactFlash adapter.
          just wanted to throw that in there incase anyone missed it.
          Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
          Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
          I'M DEBT FREE!!
          I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

12.6V max and 11.4V min may not be sufficient for a car computer. Altenator voltage is usually 14.4V and when cranking the electrical system drops to below 10V.. then again you might be lucky and it might just work regardless

Comment

I'm quite sure I read somewhere that these boards don't regulate the 12V line. In other words, it's about the same as a M10k plus morex or pw-70 psu. Please correct me if im wrong.

Comment

OK I'm a bit new to all this.

I'm mounting a liliput screen in the car at the moment. Now I'm looking for a MinI ITX.

I had decided to buy an Opus 90w as well. If I bought this MiniITX, I wouldnt need the Opus?
                Would it restart on Crank? Could I just connect it direct to the battery, with an inline fuse?

Thanks

Comment

starfox, you would have to get a 12v regulator just like for the PW70's and Morex PSUs

riddster, it probably wont survive the crank without a tank circuit, and you can't use an opus because there is no ATX power connector.

I think I'm gonna buy one
                  Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                  Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                  I'M DEBT FREE!!
                  I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I'm going to get one as well. Can you recommend a good cheap 12v regulator to use with it?

Thanks

Comment

That looks nice. With a $40 ITPS you are set. Now about the onboard cardbus and compact flash slots - how does that work?

In a couple sites it listed the video card could use 64 megs of memory - that can't be correct can it?

I think I found my new M/B
                      I am a newbie trying to outfit a couple cars with new custom consoles and mini ITX. Click here for my 2003 Chevy Avalanche project.

Comment

search for MOREX on this forum...and you shall get answers fast...look at one by MikeH(beta tester needed )one
                        DICE Los Angeles
                        ]

Comment

So, we agree that all u need for this board is the board itself and a 29/$40 ITPS regulator, straight to the car battery?

So much cheaper than an opus...
                          www.leoncupra.co.uk

Comment

Yep, thats all you need.

The only thing is that the Opus will have a lot more functionality, like not restarting when you crank the engine etc.

Comment

Keep in mind that the PC most certainly will reboot when you crank the engine, as the voltage drops when the starter draws lots of current from the battery.
                              Depending on the state of your battery the PC may only run when the engine is running because of the inherent voltage drop in ITPS (more voltage available when alternator is running). Search forums there are lots of info on this topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X