Is overcharging possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is overcharging possible?

I have a small 1.2 AH, 12 volts sealed lead battery (dry cell) parallel connected to my main battery through the fuse box. This small battery is used as a tank battery in combination with a relay...

Everything works ok, survives crank, etc.. However, I'm worried if the battery does not get overcharged and starts to produce H2... And the fact that there is an LPG installation in the trunk near the car comp worries me even more..

So my question is; Can the tank battery get overcharged in this situation? Or does the alternator regulate charging current to prevent this?

No it won´t overcharge, cars have a voltage regulator between the alternator and the battery so as long as your voltage regulator is ok then there is no risk.

Comment

But if two batteries are connected in parallel, which battery does the voltage regulator 'listen' to.
      VIA EPIA M10000 | 7" Lilliput Touch VGA | PW70 | 256 Meg RAM | 20 Gig 2.5" drive
      Dual Battery with Optima Yellowtop | Hellroaring Battery Isolater
      ICOM 2720A| Delorme Earthmate GPS | Tiny Track APRS
      Survives Crank

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedBee
        But if two batteries are connected in parallel, which battery does the voltage regulator 'listen' to.
        I hope both

Comment

use battery isolator and the alternator will charge both batteries independently. With out the isolator, the alternator will charge both battery at the same rate. You cant over charge the battery with the alternator b/c the alternator puts out less than 15 volts unless the regulator is fried. In that case, the alternator will putout as much as 18 or 19 volts. A regular battery charger will also over charge the battery if you leave it on too long.
          NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
          If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Search for "current limiting" - unless these are hawker cells, you need to limit the current or you could kill the cells.

The regulator on the alternator only regulates voltage, not current.

Originally posted by Drakandar
            I have a small 1.2 AH, 12 volts sealed lead battery (dry cell) parallel connected to my main battery through the fuse box. This small battery is used as a tank battery in combination with a relay...

Everything works ok, survives crank, etc.. However, I'm worried if the battery does not get overcharged and starts to produce H2... And the fact that there is an LPG installation in the trunk near the car comp worries me even more..

So my question is; Can the tank battery get overcharged in this situation? Or does the alternator regulate charging current to prevent this?

Comment

Having your batteries hooked in parallel will create a "balance" charge but also a "balance" draw. If one of your batteries starts to go south you will constantly load balance. Battery 1 stops holding charge and battery 2 starts acting as a charger of sorts trying to keep battery 1 at same voltage.

Go with the isolator plan.
              My Avalanche
              My On$tar Hack
              For all you Chevy Avalanche Owners

Comment

Working...
              X