No announcement yet.

power carputer from the battery?? HELP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power carputer from the battery?? HELP?

i've been planning my carputer for the past few weeks now. i have all my parts all setup, but i've been thinking of how i'm going to power this sucker.
    i originally was going to use a DC-AC power inverter to the cigarette lighter.
    is it possible to wire it directly to the engine battery? is there another way of wiring this??? i would like to hear your advice. thanks!!

If it were not for the charging system you could wire it to the 12v battery. But it is nowhere near 12v when charging...so you need something to regulate the 12v. Short answer, no...long answer...you guessed it.. ...try looking up the Opus...it will get you started. Also, check the mp3car store...they should have a dc solution that will get you going. I am pretty sure the sequencer will do what you need it to do. It will not survive a crank, but if that doesnt matter to you, it is a cheap way to get it going. http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=28
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

how do you guys power your carputers? is everyone here using a DC-AC power inverter adapter???

Comment

no there are dc-dc power supplies made by keypower, aspire, and opus.
        Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

Comment

we all use a dc-dc power supply
          Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

looks like thats the best way to wire it directly to the battery. is it true that its probably cheaper to go with a AC-DC inverter route?

opus only supports atx boards, what if i have a an mini-itx epia-m10k board?
            what about the lilliput lcd monitor...how do you guys power that??

Comment

Originally posted by fondoo

looks like thats the best way to wire it directly to the battery. is it true that its probably cheaper to go with a AC-DC inverter route?

opus only supports atx boards, what if i have a an mini-itx epia-m10k board?
              what about the lilliput lcd monitor...how do you guys power that??
              I do not want to sound rude, but I think you need to do some more research. If you do you will know that the mini-ITX boards have a ATX connector for power, if you this board, you will see how others power their LCD (usually from the 12v rail on the OPUS)

Comment

I powered mine with a modified Morex 60W DC2DC that included the PT5071 regulator. You can read about the modification in this very thread, its still on the first page!
                New Lilliput EBY701 For Sale http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?c...at=TOUCHSCREEN
                SiRF3 Bluetooth GPS http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?cat=GPS

Comment

Originally posted by fondoo
                  how do you guys power your carputers? is everyone here using a DC-AC power inverter adapter???
                  Not to worry, you can hook your DC to AC Inverter straight to the battery given you are using a decent Inverter. The draw will be more than your standard DC to DC Power supply. I use an Inverter simply because I have a dual battery setup. And yes, I have drained that auxilery battery many times. A decent inverter will auto shutdown when the battery voltage drops below a predetermined level. The Triplite Inverter I use runs from 10 to 18 volts.

Now I would run DC to DC if there was a simple solution for this old BookPC PS100 power supply. (6 pin Molex). Any suggestions?
                  My Avalanche
                  My On$tar Hack
                  For all you Chevy Avalanche Owners

Comment

Working...
                  X