Please help me with my tank circuit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me with my tank circuit

Alright, I've searched a good while and have a pretty good understanding of these things but I just want to clarify a few things.

I have a 4.5Ah SLA battery i ordered from batterystuff.com. The specs on it say the charging current should be: 0.20 x C Amps (C being the capacity, 4.5). So .20 * 4.5=.9A. Now I need a current limiting resistor so I don't overcharge this thing. So I was thinking 13.8/.9 would be 15.3Ohms. This would also be 12.42 watts if I'm not mistaken.

Now how many amps does this diode need to be able to handle? 1A? Will a simple MBR3045 work? If i put two in parallel will it drop the voltage twice?

Should I use this setup?
    Main(+)----15 Ohm Resistor----Diode>|---Regulator

Sorry for all of the questions but its just hard to get a solid answer sometimes, all of these posts end up confusing me.
    CarPC install is starting to come along again...

30 views and no help? Come on guys, I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track, I just need some confirmation. I actually figured maybe I should put the diode before the resistor...ideas anybody?

Comment

bump

Comment

sorry i would love to help you...but i need info on how to build on..a diagram perhaps
        DICE Los Angeles
        ]

Comment

is my l337 ascii art not good enough just search for tank circuit, ricky237 has a good diagram

Comment

Im not too sure what you are trying to do on the diagram.

You cant put the resistor there as it will limit the current going into the regulator.

No need for the diode before the regulator, this will only reduce the voltage going into the regulator by 0.7V lets say.

Putting 2 diodes in parallel wont effect the voltage dropped, you can pass more current through them though.

Hope that help ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
              Im not too sure what you are trying to do on the diagram.

You cant put the resistor there as it will limit the current going into the regulator.

No need for the diode before the regulator, this will only reduce the voltage going into the regulator by 0.7V lets say.

Putting 2 diodes in parallel wont effect the voltage dropped, you can pass more current through them though.

Hope that help ya.
              Haha i was close, ricky237 327 same thing! anyways, yeah i didn't realize how ignorant that looked. i already did some testing and i thought those stupid resistors would take my current way down but im trying to figure out a way to charge my 4.5Ah SLA so that it doesnt get overcharged. i guess i could put the regulator before the battery to charge it...would i need a diode in between the regulator and battery? I wouldn't think that the starter could pull power out of the second battery through the ITPS. if i did that it would lower my voltage too much probably anyways. thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
              X