hard drive and dvd watts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard drive and dvd watts

how many watts does a regular hard drive and dvd player take up. i am planning running a laptop and want to know if i can run a regular hard drive and dvd drive on a 60 watt power supply

anybody. i would like to know if i can run a full size hard drive an dvd drive on a 60 watt power supply without a motherboard hooked up to it

Comment

If you have the drives, look on the label. Most have the amp draw on it somewhere. It's going to vary quite a lot from one drive to the next. I have a WD 10 gig that specifies [email protected] (V*I=watts, so 3.5 watts) and 12v@.16A (1.92 watts) so the total would be 5.42 watts. I have a 40x sony CD-ROM that is [email protected], [email protected], 16.4 watts total. I have a DVD drive, but its in my computer, so I can't get the specs. I suspect it would be higher than a CD-ROM, but I'm not sure.
      Hope that helps.

I would say that you shouldn't have any trouble run both off a 60 watt supply though. Just check the 5V and 12V ratings separetely. Even if the total draw is >60 watts, but the 12V draw is over the 12V supply limit, you will have problems. Also some power supplies don't like to run without a motherboard.

Comment

thinkin about using a pw-60

Comment

Working...
        X