New shutdown controller - software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shutdown controller - software

This is a solution everybody can do I think .
    I wrote this prog to shutdown/hibernate your computer when you short pin 4 and 8 on the comport. There are instructions in the zip file.
    Use it as much as you want and tell me if I should add something or do something different.

Shutdown Controller

Works great!!! I was thinking that if you could some how have the serial port send out another signal a little bit after the shutdown occurs that could control a relay that could turn off an inverter. That would be a kick *** program for all of us with inverters. Nice work.
    1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

Take a relay that is triggered by the 12V of your power supply and by the ACC line from your car, you have to put a diode in between, and feed the Inverter/PSU thru it. And set the motherboard BIOS to startup after powerloss.

Comment

This is a very good function. I am running my carputer on EPIA-TC10000 and it has onboard dc-dc with two pin 12V output. Maybe this could control the relay?

Comment

Diode, why didn't I think of that.
          1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

I'm assuming you couldn't use this if you have a GPS already on the com port? or can it co-exist with other equipment?

Comment

could someone draw a fast schematic for dumb people?
              My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

Something like this should work!!

Comment

CRCinAU, it wont work to have it on the same comport, but thereīs mostly 2 comports on every motherboards, you just need a cable for it, no need for an extra card or something, check in your motherboard manual

Comment

Updated shutdown controller:

Shutdown Controller

It will now pause winamp and turn off your screen when you short Pin 4 - 8.

I use it like this:

When I turn off my car it will pause winamp and turn off my screen but leave my computer running for 10 min, if I get back before 10 min it will directly unpause winamp and turn on my screen.

Comment

Any got any pics on how this is exactly set up. I'm not picturing it in my head.

Derek
                      Progress [||-------]
                      View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                      Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

I'm trying to get a little diagram, but idk how good it is, and if it will work. I also don't know what parts to use (what relays to buy, what capacitor to buy). NO one at any radio shacks have a clue, and no response yet on the board .

I've been posting it here.

I also think I'm going to go through the switch that actually turns on the inverter, instead of the power line that goes to the inverter. That should make the capacitor smaller that i need to use in front of it (for shutdown delay). I've also thought about a small 12v battery infront, but that would take a LONG time to shutdown the computer (my UPS batt lasts 5-15 mins, probably 15-30 on a low power system.)
                        My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

I donīt believe you need that capacitor at all !!

Connect it like this and set your motherboard to startup at powerloss:

Comment

Originally posted by weekendowel
                            I donīt believe you need that capacitor at all !!

Connect it like this and set your motherboard to startup at powerloss:

But if windows hangs on shutdown = inverter stays on = possible flat battery!
                            Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Yes, thatīs a possibillity, but it will hardly happen on a computer in a car. On a computer at home or office, when you are installing/deinstalling a lot of programs and so on thereīs a risk the machine will hang from time to time, but in your car you will have a handful of programs and you minimize the risks of unwanted hanging.

Comment

Working...
                              X