Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to switch on the pc with the key?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to switch on the pc with the key?

    Hi folks,

    I´m planning building my carputer next month, but still have doubts with the power supply. I know something about actual solutions, but my doubt about ITPS is: it switch off the pc after 45seconds you switch of the car, but what about if you don´t want to switch off the pc? what to do? start again?
    Well, the new morex kit makes anything about that?
    And what about the new PW80 11-30V kit all in one kit?
    You have all here http://www.cartft.com/shop/catalog/gl/13
    what would you buy for a minibarebone board with a celeron proccessor?
    Epia M10000
    PW80
    40GB 3,5"
    Touchscreen 7" Lilliput
    Still "housing" it.

  • #2
    Originally posted by windalo
    Hi folks,

    I´m planning building my carputer next month, but still have doubts with the power supply. I know something about actual solutions, but my doubt about ITPS is: it switch off the pc after 45seconds you switch of the car, but what about if you don´t want to switch off the pc? what to do? start again?
    Well, the new morex kit makes anything about that?
    And what about the new PW80 11-30V kit all in one kit?
    You have all here http://www.cartft.com/shop/catalog/gl/13
    what would you buy for a minibarebone board with a celeron proccessor?
    Most cars don't switch off the ACC line until the key is taken out.
    Laidback


    The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Laidback
      Most cars don't switch off the ACC line until the key is taken out.
      Actually, most cars have an "ACC" key position (usually 1 turn) which sends power to the ACC line.. Having the key in the ignition, but in the "OFF" (0 turns) position will not provide power to the ACC line..

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, mine is different on my point of view. In 0 position all is switch off, in position 1 before starting the engine all is switch on, but I put back the key on 0 position again the radio will be still working untill the key is placed out.
        Could I do something with it to keep the pc on while the key is inside?
        Sorry my bad english.

        PD: Laidback: ¿eres de Madrid? qué instalación llevas? como sabes aquí en España no se habla mucho del tema.
        Epia M10000
        PW80
        40GB 3,5"
        Touchscreen 7" Lilliput
        Still "housing" it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Save your self some troubles and get an opus.

          Satified opus owner here (90w). It is deninitly worth it
          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by soybeanstorm
            Actually, most cars have an "ACC" key position (usually 1 turn) which sends power to the ACC line.. Having the key in the ignition, but in the "OFF" (0 turns) position will not provide power to the ACC line..
            Well, there you go, I must have a *special* car!
            Or maybe not as mine does the same as windalo's...stays on until I take the key out. Handy!
            Laidback


            The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by windalo
              Well, mine is different on my point of view. In 0 position all is switch off, in position 1 before starting the engine all is switch on, but I put back the key on 0 position again the radio will be still working untill the key is placed out.
              Could I do something with it to keep the pc on while the key is inside?
              Sorry my bad english.

              PD: Laidback: ¿eres de Madrid? qué instalación llevas? como sabes aquí en España no se habla mucho del tema.
              Soy Inglés, pero vivo en Madrid.

              Opus is my recommendation too!
              Laidback


              The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Laidback
                Well, there you go, I must have a *special* car!
                Or maybe not as mine does the same as windalo's...stays on until I take the key out. Handy!
                Yay, I got a special car too.
                Old Systems retired due to new car
                New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have found myself with the opus that there are certain condition where the Opus get's confused, such as if you turn on again while hibernating/shutting down.

                  I'd like to add I sadly don't have a*special* car, mine is off on putting the key in, power on ACC, the position 3 for ignition plus an extra turn for start.

                  When I wrote off the MR2 I had a hire car Nissan Micra though and that was on without the key even being inso that was even more *special*. It had a radio transponder or similar in the keyfob! (Only good thing about the car!)
                  Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                  Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why don't you hook up a switch to the ITPS instead of hooking the ITPS to the acc line? That way you can turn in on/off anytime you want? I have a 3 way switch that in one position hooks the acc on to the unit (turns off/on with engine stop) and a manual that turn on whenever I want it to.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      As e-baste said, just wire up a switch. You can also wire up a pushbutton switch:
                      Put a power diode on the accessory input to the ITPS, and a switch with another power diode running from the 12V supply to accessory. The diodes will stop your switch from putting power to other devices' accessory input in your car.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X