Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powering USB 2.0 Hub off HDD +5v Rail - Any problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering USB 2.0 Hub off HDD +5v Rail - Any problems?

Do you guys see any issues powering my USB 2.0 Hub (requires +5v) off of my HDD rail, which supplies +5v from the PSU. ???

I'm guessing the USB hub does nothing but regenerate the signals, so I doubt it would draw too much power during use.

What do you guys think?

if you gonna let it get power from psu .... why not buy a self powered one .... one that works off the usb 2.0 power from mobo .. (that inturn gets it from the psu ) .... so .. seems kinda useless to get it from the same source

Comment

I couldn't find one.. Can you post a link for one of these "self-powered" ones?

Anyhow, it's too late.

What I did so far was hack off the 120vAC adapter head, and wired up some terminal clips to hook into the +5v molex adapter to get power from the PSU's +5v rail. Do you think this will suffice? I don't see how it is different from using the 120vAC adapter which ouputted +5v....

Kevin

Comment

You should be fine. Just remember that each USB port on your hub is rated to 500mA by USB spec. Then add 500mA for some space. So a 4-port USB 2.0 hub needs 5V up to 2.5A regulated. Check your power-supply to make sure there's plenty available on the +5V rail.

Comment

Originally posted by Q_gamelogic
          if you gonna let it get power from psu .... why not buy a self powered one .... one that works off the usb 2.0 power from mobo .. (that inturn gets it from the psu ) .... so .. seems kinda useless to get it from the same source
          i heard (dont know if its true or not) that the hub that is self powered from the mobo splits the power (500ma) between each port....
          rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

The USB port on your mobo isn't required to provide more than 500mA. So if you plug in a 5-port bus-powered hub, it has to split up this 500mA among its ports. This won't be enough if you have several high-powered devices plugged in.

You did the right thing by buying a self-powered hub and wiring it directly into your +5V rail.

Here is a really article on self-powered vs. bus-powered hubs: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/USB/hubs.mspx
            1994 RX-7, EPIA P4-ITX w/ Celeron 2.4 Ghz, Arise PSU, Xenarc 700TSV (new model)

Comment

Acctually I think Powered USB hubs can get up to 6As per port...I think the 500mA spec was on USB 1.x only. When USB 2.0 came out I think it was raised.
              Aura MR62 (F and R)
              My Current MP3s
              IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
                Acctually I think Powered USB hubs can get up to 6As per port...I think the 500mA spec was on USB 1.x only. When USB 2.0 came out I think it was raised.
                According to section 7.2 of the USB 2.0 spec at http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20.zip a single USB device can consume upto 5 unit loads. A unit load is defined as 100mA.
                2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                  According to section 7.2 of the USB 2.0 spec at http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20.zip a single USB device can consume upto 5 unit loads. A unit load is defined as 100mA.
                  Sorry, was thinking USB Plus power...

http://www.usbpluspower.org/
                  Aura MR62 (F and R)
                  My Current MP3s
                  IamDefiler.com

Comment

+5V @ 6A's. 6 amps down 20 Gauge USB wires.

Sounds like fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Q_gamelogic
                      actuly you dont want a self powered one.. it wont be able to run say a CD drive off a self powered one
                      Pete Kastner www.KastNERD.com

Comment

well the DVD drive is self-powered, too.. I'll just have this IDE -> USB adapater (on ebay for $29) to convert and run the signal over the longer distance which USB can take me..

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
                          Sorry, was thinking USB Plus power...

http://www.usbpluspower.org/
                          LOL, that uses completely different cables (since you certainly burn a standard USB cable with that kind of power). I'm not aware of any system boards using this standard so in a carPC environment, you'd still need an external USB+Power hub and that hub would still require external power (sigh). Moreover, since none of the typical USB devices support the USB + Power standard, high current devices would require an adapter to suck the power off the USB + Power cables. This looks like a no-winner, at least in the short term.
                          2004 4runner

Comment

Working...
                          X