Watts? enough power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watts? enough power?

im gonna use a inverter to power my 120W power supply.
    im runng a celeron 366 which i will upgrade to a 500 or 600 later.
    how many watts do i need on the inverter?
    also does the wattage affect how many USB devices i can use?
    im planning to put in LAN, WIFI, HD, CD drive, Keyboard, Mouse,GPS, touchscreen,and phone through USB. will i have any trouble with power?

if your using a 120W power supply then you will get away with a 150W inverter. Whether your pwoer supply will be able to handle all that is the question. I would say it should be ok, depending on how many USB devices, whether or not yr using laptop/desktop HD/CD drives.

Just get an invertor with continuous power of above your power supply and you'll be fine (as long as u keep it cool).
    Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
    Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
    CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
    http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

i bought a Power On Board 350 watt inverter and for some reason the overload/low battery light keeps coming on when i plug in the 120w power supply. i dont even turn it on rught when i plug it in the inverter stops working.

Comment

Originally posted by dannn
        i bought a Power On Board 350 watt inverter and for some reason the overload/low battery light keeps coming on when i plug in the 120w power supply. i dont even turn it on rught when i plug it in the inverter stops working.
        Mine does the same, just put a 22ohm resistor in after the inverter and before the power suply, then it works.!

Mine works that way for 3month now.

Its the power suply there are making some high sparks when the power are aplied

Comment

no! evil evil evil!!!!!

where is your inverter connected? it seems to me it's not connected over a low enough gauge wire (or there's a bad connection somewhere).
          car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by dannn
            Are you plugging this into a cigarette lighter socket? DONT!

Run a fairly stout guage wire to the battery, with a fuse near the battery. You are probably not able to draw enough power through the cigarette lighter to keep the inverter happy.
            EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
            Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
            XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

most cig. lighters are rated for 20 amps ~ 240 watts. there's nothing wrong with using the cig. lighter for many applications, but your lead from the lighter socket or any other power source does.
              car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Working...
              X