Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opus DC DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Opus DC DC

    edit

  • #2
    hehe, a DC-DC unit has no battery it simply converts (not amplify you car voltage to the voltages required by your motherboard and/or accessories.

    Wiring is pretty simple, you need 2 wires going to the front of the car, positive to the battery +, acc line going to you cigarette lighter + or your stereo wiring loom ACC wire, and finally negative you ground to the nearest point on the chassis (under a big bolt).

    Its not dangerous as long as you fuse the +ve line and maybe the ACC line although it should have its own fuse.

    HTH
    Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
    Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
    CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
    http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by stub004
      stupid question...but again i admit (embarrassed) that i am totally new to this.

      when you buy the DC DC unit...is it a stand alone battery like the car's, or does it simply amplify the voltage of the car's battery? If so, how do you connect the unit up to the main car battery without electrocution etc? lol.
      I am just really scared of f***ing up my car!

      stub004

      Cheers
      stub004,

      You won't electocute yourself on a 12v system. Worst that could happen is you get a little "tingle". Wired lots of things in cars (including full race car wiring harnesses, radio head units, computers, etc......) and have never been zapped where it really hurt me. You can get some install pictures off my webpage. Version 1 and 2 are my old car (thank God it's gone), Version 3 is the new one. There are some construction ideas in there for attaching a "desktop" type pc to the car.

      Batman
      [email protected]
      www.samshomepage.net

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by stub004
        stupid question...but again i admit (embarrassed) that i am totally new to this.

        when you buy the DC DC unit...is it a stand alone battery like the car's, or does it simply amplify the voltage of the car's battery? If so, how do you connect the unit up to the main car battery without electrocution etc? lol.
        I am just really scared of f***ing up my car!

        stub004

        Cheers
        The Opus is not a battery, it is a computer ATX power supply, that instead of having a 110/230V AC input it has a 12V DC input designed to be used in cars. If you search these boards, (Im pretty sure theres a manual in the 'Products' section of mp3car.com) you will find diagrams etc on how to wire the opus.

        Now, I know to most people this might sound stupid, however people who are scared of things might not attempt it if there is no dafty precautions that they CAN take. You wont get electrocuted as long as you dont complete the circuit between the battery termermanls, so touching the +ve and -ve termenals of the battery could shock you or the +ve and the cars body, if you are worried you can wear cloth gloves with leather grip and long sleved something that covers your whole arms. Now even if you do get shocked (I don't know how probable it is, I have never experienced it) I believe it won't do too much damage as either your instant reaction is to let go or something else. Im sure if it was such a dananger there would be lots of stories here of people getting shocked (cos it's funny hearing about other people huting themselves jk)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Batmanatthenewb
          stub004,

          You won't electocute yourself on a 12v system. Worst that could happen is you get a little "tingle". Wired lots of things in cars (including full race car wiring harnesses, radio head units, computers, etc......) and have never been zapped where it really hurt me. You can get some install pictures off my webpage. Version 1 and 2 are my old car (thank God it's gone), Version 3 is the new one. There are some construction ideas in there for attaching a "desktop" type pc to the car.

          Batman

          Voltage isn't so much the issue with electrocution. Current is. 0.1A (100mA) is enough to cause fribulation (heart palpatations) and, thus, death. Your car battery can probably put out upwards of 100A.

          The good thing is that your skin is high resistance, the result is that when the 12V is applied across your skin, usually you will get a shock, but no serious damage as not enough current passes through your skin. However, it is still best to be careful, you can get serious burns if you earth an unfused live from the material you short it with heating up. And you can also get burns from small scale electrocution.

          But to be safe, basically, if you are working on something, use one hand and ensure you are not earthed to the car chassis. If working with a trailing live wire, make sure it is fused, and if doing any work on major electrical systems that are not fused or have very high ratings, disconnect the battery first.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ormo
            Voltage isn't so much the issue with electrocution. Current is. 0.1A (100mA) is enough to cause fribulation (heart palpatations) and, thus, death. Your car battery can probably put out upwards of 100A.

            The good thing is that your skin is high resistance, the result is that when the 12V is applied across your skin, usually you will get a shock, but no serious damage as not enough current passes through your skin. However, it is still best to be careful, you can get serious burns if you earth an unfused live from the material you short it with heating up. And you can also get burns from small scale electrocution.

            But to be safe, basically, if you are working on something, use one hand and ensure you are not earthed to the car chassis. If working with a trailing live wire, make sure it is fused, and if doing any work on major electrical systems that are not fused or have very high ratings, disconnect the battery first.
            Ormo,

            Good point about disconnecting the battery. You must have some medical background with the comments about the skin and fribulation. Been zapped many time, never had burns or other problems (try grabbing onto a spark plug thats leaking current, attached to a MSD 6AL Ignition box and high power coils, thats about the best shock I've gotten off a car). But then, I do live on the edge, wired many a "live" circuit in my house, and/or main circuit box. So car doesn't seem to be a major concern.

            Batman
            [email protected]
            www.samshomepage.net

            Comment

            Working...
            X