Thoughts on an ITPS Override Switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on an ITPS Override Switch

Just realized that my post might not be seen by the experts so as not to be repetitive, please see details here:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...6&postcount=40
    Don't Fear The Gurkey
    Click here to check out My Setup

I'm planning on having a simpler system for controlling the power in my setup.

I'm going to have a switch for me to control where my OPUS power supply gets its control signal from. One switch position will give the OPUS the signal from my ACC line off the ignition, the other switch position will give the OPUS a constant signal. That way I can have the computer always on, or only on when the radio (ACC) is on.

Comment

Anyone have an answer?
      Don't Fear The Gurkey

Comment

Wkolodny,

Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't something like the attached diagram do the trick? You could even combine the two switches into one 3-way switch.
        Attached Files
        MikeH

Comment

^ You can't do this with ITPS. It won't survive the crank, remember?

You can do this with OPUS because it allows crank. If you have ITPS, you can only do one switch (switch 1). That's what I have. It works great.

Comment

But, switch 2 will allow you to trigger the ITPS without starting the car.
            Epia M10000, Custom enclosure, Starvision SP-VGAT, Linksys WUSB54G, Delorme Earthmate, Windows XP

Comment

I have a 3 way switch ON-OFF-ON. The middle position is OFF. Either up or down is ON. On Top I connect to the car ACC/IGN line. The bottom connected to constant power/battery. If the switch Top possition, the PSU get power as with the key. On bottom, it will run till the battery drain.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                I have a 3 way switch ON-OFF-ON. The middle position is OFF. Either up or down is ON. On Top I connect to the car ACC/IGN line. The bottom connected to constant power/battery. If the switch Top possition, the PSU get power as with the key. On bottom, it will run till the battery drain.
                NaFooEsi:
                My PC survives the crank 4 out of 5 times.

Thanks Guys. Thats what I was looking for. I was overthinking the problem. MatrixPC do you have a link to the switch you used?
                Don't Fear The Gurkey

Comment

Nop. I bought it at a local Electronic store.
                  2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                  89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                  Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                  RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                  EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by wkolodny
                    MatrixPC do you have a link to the switch you used?
                    If you have a Radio Shack nearby, here are 3 sizes (any will do since current is low).

One

Two

Three
                    SeeYa! -Jim-

Comment

Here's a simplified drawing of the single pole 3-throw switch configuration.
                      Attached Files
                      MikeH

Comment

That looks good MikeH. Only question I have is why would you wire the thrid connector to ground? Shouldn't it just be left open?
                        Don't Fear The Gurkey

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                          Here's a simplified drawing of the single pole 3-throw switch configuration.

The center terminal of the switch is connected only to the ACC input of the ITPS. One of the outside terminals is connected to the car's ignition "on" (or ACC) point. The other outside terminal goes to 12V.

When the switch is in the middle position, the center terminal goes to neither the ignition nor the ACC, so the ITPS does not run. In the other two positions, the center terminal is connected either to the ignition or the +12V depending which way you flip it. It is not necessary to ground the ITPS ACC input in order to switch the ITPS off, all you need do is open the circuit.
                          SeeYa! -Jim-

Comment

Originally posted by STI_FFY
                            The center terminal of the switch is connected only to the ACC input of the ITPS. One of the outside terminals is connected to the car's ignition "on" (or ACC) point. The other outside terminal goes to 12V.

When the switch is in the middle position, the center terminal goes to neither the ignition nor the ACC, so the ITPS does not run. In the other two positions, the center terminal is connected either to the ignition or the +12V depending which way you flip it. It is not necessary to ground the ITPS ACC input in order to switch the ITPS off, all you need do is open the circuit.
                            Oh, and the switches I posted links for are SPDT w/center-off (not SP3T).
                            SeeYa! -Jim-

Comment

Hi,
                              this and' the scheme of as I have connected me my carputer.
                              And' also a circuit antibump for the boxes connected to the audio amplifier.
                              In this way they are connected after once setting with V1, and so' they are eliminated the bumps that I had in lighting and turning off of the carputer on the boxes audio.
                              Made a will and work correctly
                              Excuse me, the text in the scheme and' in Italian, I live in Italy
                              Mauri
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X