PSU needs grounding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU needs grounding?

Im getting interference from my PSU out of my speakers, is this because my PSU case is not grounded?

is that a stupid question?
    CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Not a stupid question, I had the same problem and saw Confused grounded his case and all was well.

However I checked my case and the whole thing was already grounded, and the resistance to ground was as low as it could be for the ground wiring - I ended up using a ground loop isolator and it sorted everything in seconds.
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

On my first system, with an inverter & ac psu, when I first turned the system on on the car, I had a REALLY loud buzzing on my speakers, and the PSU was under the passenger seat while the computer was under the dash and the amps were in the trunk! I found out that the ground pin on the inverter ac outlet was connected to nothing. When I connected it to the car chassis (effectively grounding the psu case) the buzzing went away completely. That means to me: always ground the psu. However, it won't help to cure alternator whining, that one is a lot more complicated...

Comment

Originally posted by Motoko
        Im getting interference from my PSU out of my speakers, is this because my PSU case is not grounded?

is that a stupid question?
        I just came inside from repairing mine!
        Yes, I grounded the psu straight to a good ground.
        Also, run your sound wires as short as possible and as far away from the power wires as possible.
        Mine came out great, completely quiet. (Other than music)
        AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
        "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

Working...
        X