surviving Cranks.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surviving Cranks.

Hey, I just wanted to know how many of you can survive a crank with your PC? I just rigged mine up yesterday and today, and found out that I can survie a crank, after having the computer running for a few minutes. I have an AC Delco battery that came stock with my car and a 400w coleman inverter with a 90w PSU
    CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
    Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Here is my experiences:

Inverter from local car shop + standard ATX PSU = Reboot on crank, wouldn't run very well with the engine off either. No startup/shutdown controller.

Morex DC-DC PSU direct to battery = wouldn't survive crank. Wouldn't power up 3.5" hdd with engine off. No startup/shutdown controller.

Opus 150W = Will survive crank, will work with engine off, startup/shutdown controller.

If you don't, or need more than 60W of power, get yourself an Opus (either 90W or 150W, which is available right here on MP3Car.com )

Garry
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

I'm using a 400W inverter and a regular 250W PSU. I think it depends on what condition your battery is in. If it is all charged up then you could definitely survive a crank. I have turned my computer on before starting the car several times and it has had no problems with losing enough power to reboot. However, I have had times when my battery isn't charged enough and it will reboot. Also, as long as your battery has enough juice you shouldn't have a problem running your computer while your car is off. I have been able to run my computer for over an hour with the engine off before I have to turn it on to charge the battery again. So, basically it depends on how much juice you have in your battery.

Comment

Has anybody tried using a uninterruptable power supply to survive crank? Would it work?

Comment

UPS don't like the square "sine wave" coming from the inverters, I think some people have tried this with little success
          '96 Chevy Cavalier - EPIA M10000, Win2K,MediaCar, Deluo GPS Mouse with Routis, 60GB external HD, 7" widescreen monitor from DigitalWW.

'00 Jeep Wrangler - planning stage

What can BROWN do for you?

Comment

Mine survives, it's an inverter running off a second smaller battery with an isolator. The whole setup cost me less than $80. Survives a crank and gives me mains voltage as well as power for the computer. I don't have to worry about the computer draining the main battery flat if it doesn't shut down. There's many advantages to this setup, the disadvantage is it takes time to build it.
            Chris Krug
            owner, turbine minivan
            http://www.youtube.com/krugtech

Comment

I'm planning on using a self-made UPS, more in the general meaning of the word, not an existing large and heavy model made for servers/workstations.

My plan would be to put a little lead-acid battery inline with the car battery, but separated by a diode, so when I crank the car, the current cannot flow to the starter from the extra battery, but with motor off or running, the extra battery will be charged by the main battery.

If someone has a more complex and better diagram for linking the battery, I would be happy to see it too
              List of front-ends/usefull apps
              XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

use a relay instead of a diode to isolate the battery
                Chris Krug
                owner, turbine minivan

Comment

I use a PW-60a with a 4.5Ah SLA battery and a diode...can survive crank, and use the computer with the car off for hours

Note: I don't use an ITPS, no need as all of my stuff runs 5v and below
                  CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Why would I use a relay iso a diode?
                    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

I don't know either, my diode works just fine...errr diodes...they were 3 amp diodes put in parallel
                      CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

The only thing I would keep in mind when using 2 diodes is that they would be capable of handling a tad more then half the current-total per diode.
                        When they are not 100% identical (which they are never ), current will choose the one with less resistance to pass. But when you have some reserve, it 'll be no problem (60w/12v = 5A, so you have 500mA per diode, which is more than 16%).
                        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Also, when your additional battery is really drained, it could take more then 6A from the main battery to charge, which would blow the diodes. Isn't that why they use zener-diodes? I don't know....
                          XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

There's nothing wrong with diodes. Relays are a little better since they don't have a voltage drop and they can keep the main battery from being drained if the system doesn't shut down. I'm using a pretty large tank battery so I can run my system when the engine is off. I'm using my carputer to flash the engine PCM which has to be done with the engine off. if the flash is interuppted the engine PCM gets hurt pretty badly.
                            Chris Krug
                            owner, turbine minivan

Comment

My setup survives cranking, but it's not very efficient and requires a good fan and heat sink. I have not had a single reboot during cranking though.

Walt
                              http://www.safossils.com/mp3car.html
                              Walts DC DC ATX Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                              X