I want my pc to come on with a toggle switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want my pc to come on with a toggle switch

I am running desktop pc hardware with a dc to ac converter. I plan to put a power (toggle) switch inline on the inverter power wire, leave the inverter on and just use the toggle switch to turn it on/off. But you know these newer pc's, once the power current is turned off, you have to manually hit the "on" button to turn it back on. How can I wire this pc to "stay" on and just use the toggle switch? (The power switch on the pc has 5 or 6 wires, so I wasn't just going to jump wires to accomplish this).
    I saw no threads on this...
    AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
    "A great smoking alternative"

na its 2 wires, usually named POWER SW or PSW
    CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

On most modern machines there is an option in the Bios for what to do when it has a power failure. You can usually choose either "last state" or "power on".

- Noam
      My Project: digitalintegra.com

Comment

Originally posted by noam
        On most modern machines there is an option in the Bios for what to do when it has a power failure. You can usually choose either "last state" or "power on".

- Noam
        Yeah, I see that option on my home pc. But I will be shutting windows down before I turn the toggle switch off, in which case the pc will not power up/boot up when I turn the toggle switch back on.
        So I need to somehow hardwire it "on" ?
        AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

It shouldn't matter that you shutdown windows. The BIOS will still recognize that it lost it's power source. As long as you have it set to always turn on when power is restored, you should be fine.

- Noam

Comment

It shouldn't matter that you shutdown windows. The BIOS will still recognize that it lost it's power source. As long as you have it set to always turn on when power is restored, you should be fine.

- Noam
            OK, I'll try it...
            AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

Wire the toggle right to the 'pwrsw" (or like... power switch) on the motherboard. That way when the computer is on and you throw the toggle, it'll start a windows shutdown. When the computer is off, it will boot up normally (you could always et it to hibernate) However, it will keep draining your battery in such a set up.

See this thread for my soulution (I want the same thing but I'm using a 12v input PSU) Note, the CNX-P1260 can be found here: CarNetix
              ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

Originally posted by muldrick
                OK, I'll try it...
                OK, dumb question , please answer it anyway. How do I get in the BIOS again. I tried the F2 key on boot up and the the delete key, I just plain forgot
                AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
                  Wire the toggle right to the 'pwrsw" (or like... power switch) on the motherboard. That way when the computer is on and you throw the toggle, it'll start a windows shutdown. When the computer is off, it will boot up normally (you could always et it to hibernate) However, it will keep draining your battery in such a set up.

See this thread for my soulution (I want the same thing but I'm using a 12v input PSU) Note, the CNX-P1260 can be found here: CarNetix

How will it drain the battery if the pc is turned off? (and monitor)
                  AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

modern power supplies suck juice even when off... they do it for features like WOL and keyboard power-ups.... hibernations is the same
                    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
                      modern power supplies suck juice even when off... they do it for features like WOL and keyboard power-ups.... hibernations is the same
                      Yeah, that's one reason I want to put the toggle switch inline to the inverter, this way it'll shut ALL down. I think Noam's idea would work. When I turn on the toggle switch it'll turn on the inverter which will turn on the pc. I just forgot how to get into the setup screen.
                      AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

muldrick: It is usually Delete, but sometimes one of the Fn keys.

- Noam

Comment

muldrick: It is usually Delete, but sometimes one of the Fn keys.

- Noam
                          I searching on the Gateway pc site, I think I just need to get the timing right
                          AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

The other option is to go the other route. No inverter and keep it 12v all the way through. This tends to be more expensive because you don't usually get to use parts you have laying around, but the single toggle on/off is easy.

I wanted to do the same thing so I'm going to wire this:
                            ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Working...
                            X