why is my opus doing this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is my opus doing this?

today i conected my opus to my car for the 1st time.

when i turn the key. the opus dosnt do anything for about 5 - 7 seconds then starts booting.

i didnt know it did that. dose everyone?

i have a nforce 1 motherboard with a 1700+ athlon XP

if i have it at full speed. it crashes and wont finish loading windows.

if i underclock it to 1100mhz bye only useing 100mhz FSB it run's fine.

im guessing it draws to mutch power at 1.4ghz?
    Pete Kastner www.KastNERD.com

Yes, the Opus has a delayed startup. I have no idea if it will power your athlon board. I think others have tried it with some success using the Opus 150W.
    2004 4runner

Comment

oh sorry it is the opus 150w

Comment

Originally posted by beaverpants
        today i conected my opus to my car for the 1st time.

when i turn the key. the opus dosnt do anything for about 5 - 7 seconds then starts booting.

i didnt know it did that. dose everyone?

i have a nforce 1 motherboard with a 1700+ athlon XP

if i have it at full speed. it crashes and wont finish loading windows.

if i underclock it to 1100mhz bye only useing 100mhz FSB it run's fine.

im guessing it draws to mutch power at 1.4ghz?
        Sounds like De Ja Vu (is that how you spell it?). I had the exact same problem. Except I am running a XP 2600. It would crash when loading windows with the Opus. I had to underclock mine to 2000 for it to boot up correctly. Sucks that you have to underclock so low. I am guessing you are using a microATX motherboard that doesn't have the 4 pin 12 V adapter. When you don't have that plugged in then the Opus can't supply enough power. Your case seems to be worse than mine. What else do you have plugged in?
        AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
        Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
        Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
        -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

I have the Opus 90 watt power my setup.

It is in a Shuttle XPC case, I think its microATX because my AC-DC 200 watt Power Supply that came with it had a 12vdc line going from the PS to a molex connector on the MB. That cable only had the Yellow and two Black wires, and no 5vdc red wire.

So when I installed my Opus, I found a 'Y' cord cable, and plugged it into the power lines comming out of the Opus, for the connector that goes to the MB I simply pushed out the red 5vdc wire and taped it up, and ran the other end of the 'Y' adapter cable to my HDD. This left me one last molex power connector which I ran to my CD-ROM/RW/DVD-ROM.

For my setup I have the Athlon XP 1700+ (runs at 1.4Ghz) with 256MB or ram, 60GB HDD, and my CD-ROM/RW/DVD-ROM. My Shuttle XPC came with on-board sound and video, but I ran into a problem where the on-board video couldn't run at 800x480, even with PowerStrip. So I got a PCI ATI Redeon vid card (that took up my first PCI expansion slot). Then I was able to run my video card at the desired 800x480 for my 7" wide screen. As for the on-board sound, I disabled that and put in a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card of course (which took up my 2nd and last PCI expansion slot). So I have this thing crammed full of goodies, and the 90 watter is powering everything fine.

I didn't try turning on the system without the 12vdc line running from the PS to the MB, so if you don't have that connection made it might be the source to your problems. I figured I should take care of it right off the bat, since the PS it came with was hooked up that way.

Comment

mine isnt matx but it isnt useing a 4 pin thing

Comment

Originally posted by brady
              Sounds like De Ja Vu (is that how you spell it?). I had the exact same problem. Except I am running a XP 2600. It would crash when loading windows with the Opus. I had to underclock mine to 2000 for it to boot up correctly. Sucks that you have to underclock so low. I am guessing you are using a microATX motherboard that doesn't have the 4 pin 12 V adapter. When you don't have that plugged in then the Opus can't supply enough power. Your case seems to be worse than mine. What else do you have plugged in?

what if i dubble up so 2 12v wires go to the 12v pin? kinda doubt that would help at all.

i have 2 sticks of ram maybe ill pull one out

Comment

Originally posted by beaverpants
                what if i dubble up so 2 12v wires go to the 12v pin? kinda doubt that would help at all.

i have 2 sticks of ram maybe ill pull one out
                I doubt dubble upping on the wires is going to work. You must have something that is draining all of your power becuase I can run my proccessor at 2000 with everything else running.
                AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

No kidding thats not Micro ATX. That thing is huge where are you putting it?

Maybe try lowering the voltage that goes to the CPU???
                  -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

My setup runs perfectly off of the 150Watt Opus...

Athlon XP2200 (Barton)
                    512 DDR, 60GB HD, Lots of USB, A firewire DVD....
                    I do have both power connectors connected... havent had a problem yet!
                    Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
                      No kidding thats not Micro ATX. That thing is huge where are you putting it?

Maybe try lowering the voltage that goes to the CPU???
                      the box i made is going in my trunk

Comment

So far, I have been able to power an Athlon XP 2000 at normal speed in an Asus nForce (A7N8X-VM) board off my Opus 150. Only catch is, I cannot run the desktop CD-rom off the Asus, as it craps out mid-boot.

My solution was to lower the accessory count (CD-roms, fans) or find alternate power sources for the accessories, like shchua's regulator for my CD-Rom drive. The fans can be powered off the car's 12 volts, as they don't need rock solid 12V.

Curiosity here: Beaverpants, what other accessories are you powering off your Opus? Mine is only powering the motherboard and the (regular 3.5") hard drive now.

-Phil

P.S. Check out shchua's regulator (http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22036). It puts out 1.5 Amps 12V, even if your power dips or goes up (within limits...). For the CD-Rom's 5 V, you can use a regular LM7805 IC. Its rated at 1.5 Amps as well.
                        1995 Thunderbird
                        Clarion 9375 HU, 2X CDC1255 12 Disc changer, 7500 DSP/EQ/Xover (w/fiber optic interconnects), 7501 TV Tuner/Aux
                        Xtant 1001d 1 Ch, 4180c 4 ch
                        7" Xenarc VGA touchscreen
                        1GHz Via-Nehemiah, 250 GB HDD
                        XMPCR w/TOSLink, SB Audigy NX

Comment

Working...
                        X