Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Inverter and my car

Hey guys,

I did some searching and I was reading all about the cranking issue. I have seen where some people get away with wiring the carputer directly to the battery for power to keep from dying during crank. However, I think my car's constant voltage circuit works differently. I have a 2003 Jetta. It has 2 outlets that have constant 12V and if you have something plugged into it (I.E. a light source, etc...) and crank, it doesn't dim or go out while cranking. So this leads me to believe that there is no interruption in the power on this part of the circuit when cranking is going on.

Does anyone know if this would be a safe assumption to say that the inverter would not endure a loss of power at all if wired to the same constant power source in the car?

If you mean two cig. outlets, you do not want to power your carputer off of that. The guage is to thin on the cig. lighter and could get pretty hot. it's not that the power loss is there totally but if it drops below what your inverter specs, most are 10 or 10.5 volts, it will fault anyway and you will reboot.

EDIT: Hey, post 2000!!!!
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

I wasn't saying that I was going to power it off of the cigarette lighter plugs, I was mearly stating my observations while using a lighted source while cranking to see if there was dimming or any change in the light. This should tell me if there is a drop in voltage when cranking.

I would wire it to a different area. But I didn't want to have to goto the battery if I didn't have to. But it looks like I might have to, because you are right about the guage of wire. I would have to use something small and that's something I don't think I should do.

BTW: What guage wire is best to run to the battery for this?

Comment

I have 4 guage to a distro block and I think 8 or 10 guage to my inverter.
        Aura MR62 (F and R)
        My Current MP3s
        IamDefiler.com

Comment

Working...
        X