Wiring An OPUS to the Battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring An OPUS to the Battery

This might be stupid but i have been searching around the forum for a while and no one has actually given a breakdown of how to actually wire the opus to the batter. Does the wiring have to go straight to the battery or should it go through the fuse box? What gauge wire should I use? Where should i run the wires? what do i need to buy to make sure i can safely wire my opus to my car.
    2004 GMC Envoy

Installed: VIE EPIA M1000, OPUS 90W, 180 Gig HDD, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, DVD Rom.

Contemplating: GPS, Mounting ideas, slimline slotload drive.

Overall Project progress: ()_______|_(90%)>

i second this
    don't let a day go by without finding some wonder in it...

Comment

This is really basic....

Wire the red wire straight to the battery with an inline fuse (as close to the battery as possible)

Wire the blue wire to +12 switched (ignition or acc)

Ground the black wire

this has been covered
      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

ok where can I buy these wires and what gage? the Blue wire that you are talking about......where can I find +12 switched? what is the acc?
        2004 GMC Envoy

Installed: VIE EPIA M1000, OPUS 90W, 180 Gig HDD, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, DVD Rom.

Comment

You will have to dig around with a multimeter. I found 12v+ switched off of the wire harness from my stereo.

i ran 10awg for the red and black and 14awg for the blue.

Learn to search before you post dude. This all has been covered...extensivly...ungrateful newbie

Comment

sorry man ive been searching i was just hoping that someone could maybe explain it a little easier for me. Like what do you mean by 12v+ switched? what does ACC stand for?
            2004 GMC Envoy

Comment

Okay, just to let you know I'm new to carputers (but learning a lot at this fine site) but I have lots of experience with car audio. Also, I'm in a really good mood because I got a tip today from a guy with a Winnebago so I'll give you some help. The OPUS has three inputs. Battery, Ignition, and Ground. I would recommend using 8AWG wire to connect to the battery and for the ground. If you use 8AWG on power you need to use it on ground as well. A vehicle like an 04 GMC Envoy is gonna be gravy for getting your wire through the firewall because it's just big. Last thing like an Envoy I remember was an 04 Trailblazer and I believe it had a real nice factory grommet with all the wiring coming through. That's a good place to go through with your power wire for the battery. Now, you need to fuse the power wire as close to the battery as possible. As far as the ground is concerned, shorter is better and I recommend buying a wire brush (like $2.99 @ Sears) and hooking it into a drill and get all the paint off of the spot you're going to ground to. Use a star washer and make sure you're not drilling into your gas tank (i.e. look under vehicle and make sure you are not drilling into a GAS TANK). Your ignition wire cannot be found at the radio because those vehicles don't have them @ the radio so you need to go to the ignition harness. Directechs recommends pink as your color and I'm sure that's fine but I would check with a DMM to make sure. Your wire doesn't need to be any thicker than like 16AWG on this. It just trips the relay/transistor/whatever they're using in the OPUS. Hopefully this helps.
              Peace

Comment

You can use acc (accessory) Although power is cut of to this line on crank you don't crank your car for 5 seconds...more like 2-3 so it will not initiate a shutdown of your computer.....now if you were getting your positive from the switched 12v (acc) that would be bad news

8awg is overkill but will definitly get the job done.

Comment

Where can I buy wire with inline fuses? what fuses do i need?
                  2004 GMC Envoy

Comment

I've always believe too much is never enough. I'm sure you could get away with 10 or 12 AWG if you want to but I will certainly be using 8. Your local Best Buy, CircuitCity, car audio shop, etc. can get you into wire. I think we sell a 10AWG amp kit (17ft 10AWG red, 3ft 10AWG black, 18AWG remote) for like $20 or something like that. That comes with an AGU fuseholder and a 30A fuse I believe.

Comment

i got the 4 gauge wire kit from wal-mart for about $25 or so
                      My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

I dunno how many people realize this but in the mp3car.com store there is the manual for both the 150W and the 90W Opuses
                        Kefka_Killer.owns(you);

Comment

Originally posted by GMCVOY
                          Where can I buy wire with inline fuses? what fuses do i need?
                          If you have a local car stereo shop, they can help you out with an inline fuse and wire. 12 Awg or better should be used (According to Opus Documentation), but this depends on the length of the wire run. If you are going to be hitting 14+ feet, it might be a good idea to look into 10 AWG to prevent the wire's resistance from becoming a factor (voltage drop). Be sure to use the same size wire for ground. You should probably locate a nice thick piece of steel in the back of your Envoy, and look to attach the ground there. Factory bolts/bosses often have the steel around them reinforced, depending on the load they bear. Your mileage may vary.

Fusing: The Opus has an internal 10 Amp in the 90, and a 15 in the 150. According to the documentation, Opus is recommending a 10 or 15 amp fuse at the battery. I would imagine that means "respectively", so go with a 10 for the 90 watt, and a 15 if you are using a 150 watt.

The Acc lead can be 18 AWG, as it is only throwing enough current at the Opus to tell it to turn on. On most GM vehicles, this can usually be found going into the radio, as a yellow lead coming from the head unit. There is also a speaker lead that is yellow in GM's (Left rear speaker's negative lead, it will be paired with a brownish wire), so break out that multimeter to be sure.

Good luck, and have fun.

-Phil
                          1995 Thunderbird
                          Clarion 9375 HU, 2X CDC1255 12 Disc changer, 7500 DSP/EQ/Xover (w/fiber optic interconnects), 7501 TV Tuner/Aux
                          Xtant 1001d 1 Ch, 4180c 4 ch
                          7" Xenarc VGA touchscreen
                          1GHz Via-Nehemiah, 250 GB HDD
                          XMPCR w/TOSLink, SB Audigy NX

Comment

The fuse figures on the opus psu's come from their theoretical maximum draw at full load. The 150W Opus draws 13.5A maximum. The 90W draws 8.5A maximum. Thus, a 10A fuse on the 90W and a 15A fuse on the 150W are perfect. You can get the barrel type inline fuse holders, or the plug-in fuse holders. I went with the plugin type so that I can use regular automotive fuses in there, but then again I have the convenience that my battery is inside the trunk and not the engine compartment where it gets all hot and nasty. In the engine compartment, often barrel fuses are a better choice simply because of the enclousre.
                            MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
                            See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
                            Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
                            Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
                            BMW I-Bus Integration
                            My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

Originally posted by philstuf
                              On most GM vehicles, this can usually be found going into the radio, as a yellow lead coming from the head unit.
                              Although this is true on many GM vehicles it will not pan out on an 04 Envoy or any other GM vehicle that uses the new style 'Tracker' harness. The radio and many other features in the vehicle such as door locks are controlled by databus. There is no 12V switched behind that radio.

Comment

Working...
                              X