Bad Opus ?! 2 Blinking LEDs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Opus ?! 2 Blinking LEDs

I wanted to try out my setup in a test environment so I hooked up my opus to a power supply that I got from an appliance computer.

The power supply is rated at 12V 5A. A measurement with a multimeter on the power supply with no load shows that this is in fact true.

I connected a switch to the ACC wire and connected that to the +12 lead of the power supply.

When I turn the switch on, that is, the ACC wire gets power I start seeing both LEDs on the Opus blink twice and then pause and then again blink twice and so on.

I thought initially that the pwr supply doesnt have enough juice so I unplugged the hdd from the pwr suppl. but that didnt yield any better results. The ~60W of this pwr supply should be enough to power the motherboard but still i get the same pattern of flashing LEDs and nothings moving.

I tested the motherboard with a regular pwr supply and everything is working well so the Opus must be the problem !

Any suggestions ?!

Migrane.
    ... you don't need eyes to see ... you need vision !!!

Quoting from the Opus manual:

2 Flashes: The computer power up sequence failed
    Reasons:
    1. Check the wiring of the two wire power-switch cable from power supply connector J9 to power switch pins on the ATX motherboard. If connected properly check the polarity of the power switch pins. may be reversed.
    2. Check ATX mother board bios settings.
    3. Locked up mother board or software crash of bug ...(huh? Who wrote this?)
    4. Faulty DC-DC power supply.

I found number 1 to be the casue of my "double flash". Its really easy to plug that little 2 pin connector in backwards.

The first thing I would do, if I were you, would be to rotate the power switch lead 180 degrees and see if that fixes it.

After that, the rest of the options do not look so pleasant.

-Phil
    1995 Thunderbird
    Clarion 9375 HU, 2X CDC1255 12 Disc changer, 7500 DSP/EQ/Xover (w/fiber optic interconnects), 7501 TV Tuner/Aux
    Xtant 1001d 1 Ch, 4180c 4 ch
    7" Xenarc VGA touchscreen
    1GHz Via-Nehemiah, 250 GB HDD
    XMPCR w/TOSLink, SB Audigy NX

Comment

Will try this today in the afternoon and see if it works. I am afraid though that I have a dead opus on my hands.

Migrane

Comment

Maybe the powergood line?
        www.Carputerforum.nl

Comment

Migrane, can you draw the exact wiring diagram you're using? Also, can you confirm that you are running a jumper from the Opus directly to the motherboard without any type of power switch? The opus is supposed to handle power ons and power off requests on its own.

Also, please try reversing the jumper wire to the power switch, it really does make a difference.
          Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
          http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by migrane
            Will try this today in the afternoon and see if it works. I am afraid though that I have a dead opus on my hands.

Migrane
            Well, the little guy seems pretty tough. I am going to hope that its not dead for you. I tried replicating your problem though, and sure enough, if I flip my power switch connector around, I get the same 2 blinks.

Just curious, was anything done earlier that might, um, "contribute" to an Opus failure? Like, was it dropped, or trying to power a 3.4 GHz P4 Prescott with Hyper Threading ?

-Phil
            1995 Thunderbird
            Clarion 9375 HU, 2X CDC1255 12 Disc changer, 7500 DSP/EQ/Xover (w/fiber optic interconnects), 7501 TV Tuner/Aux

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys ! It was indeed the connection between the Opus and the motherboard.
              philstuf: I never mishandle my gear !
              chairboy: the diagram is almost exactly like the one on the opus manual but that one has 2 switches whereas I have only one to simulate the ignition switch.

While tinkering with this I also noticed a poor surface soldering. One of the pieces was was not sitting flush to the pcb. I could only see it with the magnifying glass. So I took out my Weller and redid that one. Dont know if that had somehting to do with it. Dont think so though because it was making contact with the pcb though only through a tiny tiny sharp pin that probably formed when the part was immediatly lifted a bit after the solder was applied. I put some hot glue on that after it was done and everything is great now.

Migrane.

Comment

Originally posted by migrane
                philstuf: I never mishandle my gear !
                Same here. Just adding a little humor
                1995 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                X