Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power/ITPS Woes

Two questions here:

1) ITPS overheated.. My ITPS seemingly shut down and then came back on last night while I was sitting in my garage tweaking WinXP on my carputer... It was up for about 30 minutes, and all of the sudden my PC rebooted. I didn't know what happened so I ran to the trunk and sure enough it was rebooting.

The ITPS is in a small black plastic case from Radio Shack. It's about 3"x3"x6" with about 12 1/4" holes I drilled in it to help it vent. The plastic case was damn hot (although not hot enough to melt it or the zip ties hold the ITPS board in place). But, I figure the ITPS got hot and overheated..

SO, how do I do an even BETTER job at cooling my ITPS? Any cool ideas? I might just mount the sucker to my amp rack, no plastic casing at all, and hook up some cross-vent fans - those would help keep my amp cool too (although it runs cool anyways).

2. When I had my amp on and my carputer off, and the RCAs plugged into the carputer and amp, I hear engine whine and some background white noise. It's almost as if the carputer is acting as a antenna since the RCAs are plugged in. Does this make any sense? It was unplugged completely at the time. The only wires were going to my USB hub (+5v, which was off because the PC was not supplying power to it), the Keyboard and VGA, which may run over some power wires in the door sill, and the RCAs...

????????

Originally posted by sq_geek
    Two questions here:

1) ITPS overheated.. My ITPS seemingly shut down and then came back on last night while I was sitting in my garage tweaking WinXP on my carputer... It was up for about 30 minutes, and all of the sudden my PC rebooted. I didn't know what happened so I ran to the trunk and sure enough it was rebooting.

The ITPS is in a small black plastic case from Radio Shack. It's about 3"x3"x6" with about 12 1/4" holes I drilled in it to help it vent. The plastic case was damn hot (although not hot enough to melt it or the zip ties hold the ITPS board in place). But, I figure the ITPS got hot and overheated..

SO, how do I do an even BETTER job at cooling my ITPS? Any cool ideas? I might just mount the sucker to my amp rack, no plastic casing at all, and hook up some cross-vent fans - those would help keep my amp cool too (although it runs cool anyways).

2. When I had my amp on and my carputer off, and the RCAs plugged into the carputer and amp, I hear engine whine and some background white noise. It's almost as if the carputer is acting as a antenna since the RCAs are plugged in. Does this make any sense? It was unplugged completely at the time. The only wires were going to my USB hub (+5v, which was off because the PC was not supplying power to it), the Keyboard and VGA, which may run over some power wires in the door sill, and the RCAs...

????????
    Sounds like you are using the same RadioShack Case I am using for my 12V power supply. I am using 4 boost/buck switching regulators that can create a lot of heat. I put fans on both ends of the housing, one sucks, one blows (no pun intended) like a windtunnel. The only problem was that it sounded like a windtunnel so I unpowered one of the fans and it works great. Just cut the holes on the ends of the case with a dremel and screw in the fan. A small fan from a CPU heatsink will do fine.
    Attached Files
    My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

EBJUSTIN, is this power supply in your car if so what regulators did you use to build it?
      Check out my hopefully useful site...

www.hobbybotics.com

It's still under design but it is functional

Comment

I think those are those texas instrument ones that you can get samples of...kind of expensive unless you get the samples
        CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Originally posted by brooksware2000
          EBJUSTIN, is this power supply in your car if so what regulators did you use to build it?
          Yes, the power supply is used in the car...it works great, it survives a crank and regulates 12V well with the car on or off. The regulators are TI PT5071. They are rated at 1.5A each so I have four in parallel with the outputs isolated by schottkey diodes.
          My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

Yeah I need to hook up some fans to the ITPS to keep it cool. Can I run 2 little PC fans (3" or so) off of the ITPS itself? Do I need to use any resistors? I know some of these fans if they get more than +5v, they start running super fast and can break/fly apart haha..

I could just run them off my PC's +5v rail, but it is already supplying power to my USB hub, touchscreen, slimline DVD, laptop HDD, and soon to be USB XM Radio, and USB GPS receive.. *sigh*

Comment

use standard 12v case fans( $6 at comp usa ) then use the power before the circut this will not add to the load on your shut down cotroler and will shut of with the car.

Comment

So off the ignition lead and the ground, or do you mean off the ITPS output + and -?

Comment

battery
                  +
                  +
                  +
                  +
                  igniton switch +++++++++++++ fan -----------ground
                  +
                  +
                  +
                  ++++++++++ itps ++++++++++++ pc

Comment

ok, thanks Lawrence.. you don't think the fans will suck up all of the juice and not leave any to turn on my ITPS and Amp?

Comment

no the fan will only draw a fee watts each. as long as you power lead is large enough to handle both you will be ok

Comment

check out this fan from radio shack it can exchange the air in a room 25 x 25 with a 8 foot celing once every hour or 4 x 4 x 5.3 every minute ( 85 cfm ) only draw 4.5 watts and is 12v --all this for 20 bucks. this will cool even the hotest power supply / itps.

Comment

Check out the minimum voltage requirements for the ITPS.. I thought I remember reading it needed at least 12.8v or more and usually meant a charging battery... I could be wrong.. was your motor running at the time?

o/______\o
                          (oo_OO_oo)
                          []o-----------o[]
                          '94 320i

Comment

Originally posted by euro320i
                            Check out the minimum voltage requirements for the ITPS.. I thought I remember reading it needed at least 12.8v or more and usually meant a charging battery... I could be wrong.. was your motor running at the time?
                            Oh... hmmm.. good point. My car was NOT running at the time. It was sitting with just the Accessory on, for about 30 minutes...

Hmmm.. I wonder if that will help, but I doubt that would help it run cooler -- or would it? I guess same power consumption at higher voltage = less current = runs cooler..

But still, it's too close to that border.. Even if running my car would prevent it from shutting down, I think I need to put a fan on it.. It wouldn't hurt at least and you guys have convinced me it should be easy enough.

Comment

Attach a 80mm fan to one of the Epia's fan headers and cool the ITPS.
                              Do not connect the minus to the battery terminals, only to the chassis. That's why you get the alternator whine.

o/______\o
                              (oo_OO_oo)
                              []o-----------o[]
                              '94 320i

Comment

Working...
                              X