which would be perfect for me ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which would be perfect for me ?

i basically got almost everything done on my carputer. Found a way to hook up without replacing the headunit. almost finish with my frame for the tv to look like stock in my 2001 Boxster S. basicaly all i need to do now is install the carputer and do all the electrical. Not really a problems but im really confused and dont want to **** it up. Which piece do you guys think would be right for me to give me just enuff power but would hurt the car or nothing. I have to hook up the 7" lilliput and my laptop. That seems about it, just those 2. Im pretty sure they wont take too much power so i didnt feel that i needed the opus or something big. Please let me know what u guys think would work right for me. as soon as i finish this job , i will be adding lot of pics once it is done.

also, i was thinking of programming one of the stock buttons in the car to turn on and off the laptop and tv, but i also wanted an auto shut-down so that it turns on and off by itself when i leave the button powered on. Any help will be useful , thanks a lot

Comment

That laptop of yours, does it take 12V DC?

In that case you might be able to use the ITPS.
      It is a 12V voltage regulator and startup/shutdown controller in one.
      Normally it will not survive cranking (causing the pc to reboot) but with a laptop, you could let the laptop switch to its own battery.
      Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Currently : Audi A6 - no install

Second install : VW Passat '97 CarPC
      First install : '87 Audi 80 CarPC

Comment

not sure exactly if its a 12v dc, but the battery says 11.1v dc but the charger that it is plugged into the wall right now is rated at 19 v output. Does that mean i would need at least 19v for it to run without a battery? also, if it doesnt survive the crack, that means that the tv wont survive it either and it would turn off right ? also, would i need to hook the ITPS directly to the battery ? or would i be able to just run it off some power wire inside the dash. thanks again for all the help

Comment

Well if the charger outputs 19v, i think you'll need that to power your laptop. Maybe you sould look into laptop powersupplies for in car use.
          Maybe you can use the ITPS in combination with the special laptop adaptor for in the car.
          You need 3 wires from your electric system to hook up the ITPS. You can take them somewhere under the dash, doesn't really matter where.
          You need unswitched 12V+, igintion 12V+ and 12V-. The ignition 12V+ is used to detect ignition and initiates the ITPS for startup/shutdown sequence.

The LCD might survive, I don't know, I don't own a lilliput. But from what i've heard the lilliputs haven't got an auto poweron. There is mod for that though, it's somewhere on the forum here.

Comment

thats a lot of useful help , 1 quick question , im guessing the itps is nothing like the opus or nothing , so would it eat away from my power in the car ? like the headlights or anything like that. Thanks again for the help

Comment

The ITPS was built with the purpose to prevent batterydrain when then PC is off. When the ignition is on, the unit waits a few seconds while the engine is cranking. After that it starts the PC.
              When the ignition is turned off, the unit will send a shutdown signal to the mobo. The ITPS will not cut power to the mobo for several seconds. Making it possible for the PC to shutdown properly. After shutdown the power is cut. The only powerdrain left will be from the chip on the ITPS, which is "listening" for an ignitionsignal. Your clock will probably be using more power than this...

Comment

Working...
              X