PW80 extrange behaviour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PW80 extrange behaviour

Iīve done the first test today inside the car with the Epia M10000, PW80 power supply and 3,5" HD without screen, only trying power.
    Well, the system was running ok, but when I turn on the engine the Epia poooffff, no power, stop, not reboot, totally stop and it doesnīt start. I take out the fuse, place it again and it works again fine, but every time I start the engine the same situation.
    If the engine is on or off no problem, the system is running. If I turn off the engine the system is still running, but when I start..... why do I need the place out and in again the fuse if it is not broken?????

The fuse I use is 8A, is it correct? PW is arround 60W between 11V and 30V.
    I have a battery clock in the car and in the starting stage there are 11V exactly, with the engine off 12V and with the engine running 13-13,5V.
    I get the power from the fusebox, not directly from the battery, avoiding the fact of crossing to wall.

Where is the problem?forget my bad english
    Epia M10000
    PW80
    40GB 3,5"
    Touchscreen 7" Lilliput
    Still "housing" it.

I had the same problem, and Audioforge told me that I needed an ITPS for my PW120 to work.

So I went and bought a Morex case with a DC-DC power supply
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

But the fuse Iīm using is correct?
      ITPS wonīt do anything more perfect, only spend more money.
      Epia M10000
      PW80
      40GB 3,5"
      Touchscreen 7" Lilliput
      Still "housing" it.

Comment

whatīs happening?
        Epia M10000
        PW80
        40GB 3,5"
        Touchscreen 7" Lilliput
        Still "housing" it.

Comment

Ufff, now, the fuses are ****ed, it doesnīt start without burning the fuse.
          ???????????
          Epia M10000
          PW80
          40GB 3,5"
          Touchscreen 7" Lilliput
          Still "housing" it.

Comment

Look at the bottom of the ITPS page http://www.mp3car.com/products/itps.html
            It needs at least 13.3 Volts to operate. When you crank, your battery drops below that and ITPS stops sending power to your PC. IT is normal. Try putting your PC in STR3 Mode (suspend) and then crank. Your PC will come back within seconds to where it was. In suspend mode PC uses very little power. I use the power from the Cigarette lighter - it seems to be good for PCs. Good luck..

o/______\o
            (oo_OO_oo)
            []o-----------o[]
            '94 320i

Comment

But Iīm not using ITPS, the PW80 is directly to the fuses box. I will try what you said tomorrow.
              Itīs a pitty, the 3,5HD works great and today I tried with the 3,5HD and a 5,25 DVD and no problem, the power was enough, stop the car and still running everything, but when I start the engine... ohhhh, again the fuse to unplace and place (BUT ITīS OK!!!).
              Epia M10000
              PW80
              40GB 3,5"
              Touchscreen 7" Lilliput
              Still "housing" it.

Comment

Which fuse are you using? I think you might want to go to a larger fuse eg. cigarette lighter fuse that gives you at least 30amps..

o/______\o
                (oo_OO_oo)
                []o-----------o[]
                '94 320i

Comment

The problem is this:

the computer runs when the car is off, because you have 12v and your PS needs at least 11v.

When you start the car, the voltage drops to what seems to be 11v on your voltmeter in the car, but that can be 10,999v , which is too low. Even 11v is much too close.

As this is only for a short period of time, you could add a little battery or a capacitor and a diode, so you can 'bridge' this start low voltage.

The fuse doesn't have to be 30A at all! 60w / 12v = 5A, so 8A is more than sufficient. The reason you can boot your computer again, only when you remove and put back your fuse is only because you really cut the power to your powersupply and put it back on. If the voltage drops enough to block your PC, but not enough to really stop it (like your 11v), the PC can hang in a state between running and off. That is what happens.

Joa

P.S. Have you managed to resolve your sound issues?
                  List of front-ends/usefull apps
                  XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Working...
                  X