Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus users, please read

Hey guys,

Ok, I am almost at the brink of just buying the Opus 150W for my case. Since I read in a reply to my other thread about someone who got it to fit into their case along with the fact that they are running better hardware than me, I want one now.

However, I need to know one thing. Will there be any noise in my video/audio line after this? Should it be clean? And do I need to keep my PC case grounded to the car chassis after I switch to a DC-DC supply?

I searched a bit but I can't search anymore...All searched out. I just need a lil' more input here.

you shouldn't have any noise given all your wiring is good.

I don't even have my stuff in a case, nothing is grounded to anything else, and it's all sitting on the passenger floor, taped down (for right now) and it works just as good as when it was mounted in my glovebox, no noise, no crappy video signal.
    Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
    Mods: Yep
    Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Originally posted by Sivion
      Hey guys,

Ok, I am almost at the brink of just buying the Opus 150W for my case. Since I read in a reply to my other thread about someone who got it to fit into their case along with the fact that they are running better hardware than me, I want one now.

However, I need to know one thing. Will there be any noise in my video/audio line after this? Should it be clean? And do I need to keep my PC case grounded to the car chassis after I switch to a DC-DC supply?

I searched a bit but I can't search anymore...All searched out. I just need a lil' more input here.
      You will want to ground your opus. I just used an extension cord (ripped it in half) and used that to go to the ground on my amp that is also in my trunk. So from the back of the Opus I have 3 small cables, one for power, one for accessory, and one for ground. they all go to my amp that was already hooked up. No noise.
      AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
      Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
      Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
      -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by brady
        You will want to ground your opus. I just used an extension cord (ripped it in half) and used that to go to the ground on my amp that is also in my trunk. So from the back of the Opus I have 3 small cables, one for power, one for accessory, and one for ground. they all go to my amp that was already hooked up. No noise.
        But if the opus is mounted inside my case and my case is grounded to the chasis of the car, would that be good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by brady

Could I also just run power direct from the batter including ground from the batter, hook it straight up to the opus and just leave it at that? Will that be an ok setup?

Comment

Yes

Yes, you can hook your opus directly to your battery black to black, red to red, as long as your battery is grounded well. I did not want to grind down 2 spots inside my truck so I just grinded off the paint where my audio batteries are for ONE ground and then ran the opus NEG straight to the NEG poll of the battery which of course is connected to the ground of the vehicle. I used s multi-meter and it was showing perfect numbers under stress.

One thing I did notice with ANY ground, is the opus will put off some noise in the line when your computer is off and the opus is on. Its really no big deal, but it was just an observation. As soon as the computer turned on...it was clean as spring water...(well Washington State spring water).

Jake

Comment

Will I get noise in the audio line going from my sound card to the speakers of my car once I switch from an inverter to Opus?

Comment

It is possible, but it will not be because of the power source change.

Its really not hard....make sure your opus is grounded, carputer is ground, and any audio accessories and you will be fine.

If you still have noise after that, then I would investigate the quality of your wires. I personally use RCA cables that run the neg and pos 90 degrees which helps prevent outside electromagnetic interference ( that may not be completely correct) but the bottom line is ...use RCA cables that are twisted. Its one less thing to worry about if you do.

I am sure you get will someone else saying "I used cheap wires and you dont need all that stuff that guy said" Well do not take my word for it...just go pick up a physics book.

out

Comment

Originally posted by Sivion
                  But if the opus is mounted inside my case and my case is grounded to the chassis of the car, would that be good enough?

The way you are supposed to do it is....

Battery
                  |(+)(Put 30 Amp fuse here)------(+)Opus--

|(-)-----------------------------(-)Opus--

12+V_(Put 30 amp fuse here)________/
                  and this third line here is to detect 12v when the car turns on...so that the OPUS will know when to turn on...(in my diagram it's not attached to the opus but it is supposed to be!

and hook this last line into a 12v source that turn on and stays on when you turn your keys and crank (DURING)engine. That could be a cig. lighter. You could tap into you fuse box; you also could tap into you acc line under your dash (that's what I did). As you can see by doing this it's already grounded right to the battery which is grounded to your chassis, so really I think it's unnecessary to ground it a second time and opus does not tell you to do any other was. When you put a fuse in make sure you put it as close to the source (or terminal) as possible.

A good source for wiring diagrams for vehicles is right HERE

so good luck and may the force be with you!
                  BossTone74

Comment

Working...
                  X