Decrease fake UPS stutdown time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decrease fake UPS stutdown time

I built a stutdown controller with a 5 volt output to Pin 8 on the serial port. This is to simulate a UPS device. I configered the UPS setting in Windows XP with negative polarity to hibernate when there is a drop in voltage. The default time it takes for WinXP to go into hibernation is 30 sec after it detects the drop in voltage on the serial port. Is there anyway to decrease this time?
    Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Originally posted by Terran
    I built a stutdown controller with a 5 volt output to Pin 8 on the serial port. This is to simulate a UPS device. I configered the UPS setting in Windows XP with negative polarity to hibernate when there is a drop in voltage. The default time it takes for WinXP to go into hibernation is 30 sec after it detects the drop in voltage on the serial port. Is there anyway to decrease this time?
    Funny, mine hibernates immediately..
    Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Laidback,

I got the fake UPS shutdown idea from visiting your website. I followed your instructions and can't seem to get the computer to stutdown faster.

BTW, congrats on the new addition to you family! I also am a new father, we had ours on July 26, 2004.

Comment

Some one wrote software for shorting out pins 4 & 8. Its in the software development forum, search for shutdown controler in there and you should find it. You can adjust the time with that if your using pins 4 & 8.
        CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
        Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Originally posted by owenjh
          Some one wrote software for shorting out pins 4 & 8. Its in the software development forum, search for shutdown controler in there and you should find it. You can adjust the time with that if your using pins 4 & 8.
          Thanks for the advice. I considered the small program, but selected the fake ups and design the shutdown controller around it. I don't want to rebuild the shutdown controller if I can figure out how to reduce the hibernation delay.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran
            Laidback,

I got the fake UPS shutdown idea from visiting your website. I followed your instructions and can't seem to get the computer to stutdown faster.

BTW, congrats on the new addition to you family! I also am a new father, we had ours on July 26, 2004.
            Thanks & congrats back to you!

There's nothing in setup telling it to wait 30 secs? What did you build?
            Laidback

Comment

Thats right, the fake UPS should shutdown immediately after the lost of IGNITION.

When I first tested this idea it was done on a freshly installed Windows XP. You may have some program running that causing it to delay.

Laidback havent you noticed you promoted the word "fake UPS" quite well, seems to be universal now...Cheers

Crappy name but it work though

Comment

Try this prog anyway it may work, with a +5 V on pin 8

http://ormkarr.cjb.net/files/shutdown.zip

Comment

Typical user error…

I forgot to uncheck the “Enable all notification” in the UPS Configure screen. It now hibernates immediately when the 5v drops.

Comment

Glad you got this fixed!!!
                    CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                    Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Slightly old thread. But if I *want* a 30 second delay, then I can achieve that? That way I can produce a very simple circuit based on the acc line going to ground to produce +5V on pin 8. The acc line will beat ground during ignition (which I want to ignore) and after the ignition is turned off. I will have a tank circuit to keep the PC running long enough to shut down. Using the PC to provide the necessary delay is ideal!
                      Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                      Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                      Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

Hmm, when I try and configure the generic UPS, I get an error saying it couldn't connect to the COM port. My ps/2 socket is dead on this m/b - I hope the serial port isn't too. Or is there some gotcha I'm running into?

Comment

Originally posted by Arathranar
                          Hmm, when I try and configure the generic UPS, I get an error saying it couldn't connect to the COM port. My ps/2 socket is dead on this m/b - I hope the serial port isn't too. Or is there some gotcha I'm running into?
                          Make sure the com port is enabled in bios?
                          Laidback

Comment

It is enabled

So even if I have nothing hooked up yet, the error is not normal?

Comment

Ah, pure user error. I still had the ELO touch screen drivers installed set to use COM1! Once I fixed that I could configure the UPS without errors. I successfully got into a repetitive hibernate loop which shows that XP was doing what it was supposed to. I had to use safe mode to fix that.

However - it's going into hibernate immediately with no warnings or delays. How do I get that 30 second delay - I need it to avoid the PC shutting down during the crank as my acc line goes low.

Comment

Working...
                              X