• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of Inverter are you using?

Pure Sine Wave?

or

Modified Sine Wave?

Do you see any advantages to either? I only ask because modified sine is much cheaper than pure, but pure is more efficient and less likely to have problems with the equipment it's running. Thanks!
    2004 WRX Carputer

Pure is better, give a smoother signal and will be less likely to cause noise. You may want to check into a DC-DC power supply though, as they are not much more money compared to a really high end inverter...
    CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Using modified sine-wave here. Pure sine-wave inverters are basically like modified sine-wave inverters except the steps are chopped up at 20 KHz.

Comment

Originally posted by Kermee
        Using modified sine-wave here. Pure sine-wave inverters are basically like modified sine-wave inverters except the steps are chopped up at 20 KHz.
        Um, my understanding was that a pure sine wave was a pure sine wave, and that a modified sine wave was a square wave with a step in it... am I wrong here?
        2004 WRX Carputer

Comment

Im using a modified sine wave, yes pure is more expensive, modified is more cheaper. Try to find a cheap modified one that survives cranks and has enough watts for what you need. Mine does, but you may have to try a few - also some make more noise then others, so you might want to watch out for that too.
          CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
          Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

How bad is the noise? I've also heard you don't want to run high end electronics off a modified sine wave...
            2004 WRX Carputer

Comment

I run a modified sine wave inverter. The only noise I get is in the power supply itself. It seems that the transformer doesn't enjoy the hard steps of the modified wave, creates a little buzz.
              2006 Chevy Colorado: VIA M10000 EDEN, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 2.5" Seagate HDD, USB Slim Slot DVD/RW, Holux GPS, MobileVU 10.4" LCD (touch not working yet), VOOMPC Case (blue), 70W DC-DC supply.

Comment

Working...
              X