Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get regulator for cars 12v to regulated +5v 2amp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get regulator for cars 12v to regulated +5v 2amp?

(Yes I did a search)

I'm going to install a slot load dvd drive into the dash. I need a way to get clean 5v to it. Since my 'puter is in the trunk I rather not extend anything from the psu. I have some 12v sources I can tap into from the dash but how can I get a safe 5v 2amps to the drive? Thanks in advance.
    My Install Thread
    digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
    How do I get sound to my car?

7805 regulator, use same circuit as this 7512:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...570#post240570
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Comment

Is there some prefab unit I can buy?
      My Install Thread
      digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Uh, it's essentially already prefabbed, It's a single part, you just hook your wires straight to it. It doesn't get much better.

Comment

OK, sorry. That was a thread with many different things on it, including some diagrams. It looks like they are 1amp regulators. Will this work for a dvd-rom? I think it may need 2amps.
          My Install Thread
          digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

First, the link I sent went straight to the 7505/7512 circuit. Second, didn't realize you needed 2 amps, the 7505 will provide 1 amp, so.. sorry. I suspect your drive will work fine on 5v 1amp, but no way to tell without trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy
              First, the link I sent went straight to the 7505/7512 circuit. Second, didn't realize you needed 2 amps, the 7505 will provide 1 amp, so.. sorry. I suspect your drive will work fine on 5v 1amp, but no way to tell without trying.
              Thanks. I appreciate it. I'll have to try it out.
              My Install Thread
              digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

A linear regulator is going to get fairly hot dropping 12-14V down to 5v at 1A. It would have to dissipate upto 9W! You're going to need a good heat sink and fan or your regulator is just going to shut down or even go poof.

Search the forums for 'Sproggy' and consider building just the 5v portion of that circuit. A single 5v rail of the Sproggy should easily give you 1-2A without too much of a heat problem.
                2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                  A linear regulator is going to get fairly hot dropping 12-14V down to 5v at 1A. It would have to dissipate upto 9W! You're going to need a good heat sink and fan or your regulator is just going to shut down or even go poof.

Search the forums for 'Sproggy' and consider building just the 5v portion of that circuit. A single 5v rail of the Sproggy should easily give you 1-2A without too much of a heat problem.
                  I second that. You could also build a high efficiency switching regulator based on the National Semiconductor Simple Switcher parts. Check out the LM2596 datasheet for a circuit that you can build using a handful of parts.

Comment

Originally posted by shchua
                    You could also build a high efficiency switching regulator based on the National Semiconductor Simple Switcher parts. Check out the LM2596 datasheet for a circuit that you can build using a handful of parts.
                    The 5v rail of the Sproggy IS a simple switching regulator based on National simple switcher parts.
                    2004 4runner

Comment

Use the MAX787 and MAX789 IC's from here:
                      http://www.maxim-ic.com/

They do 2 or 5 amps at either 3.3 or 5volts. You can get samples for free. I have a whole box. They work great.
                      -- kingmissel
                      IN: P4 2.4Ghz Mini-Itx, 512MB Ram, Slot-load DVD/CD-RW, Opus 150w, 2nd Battery, JL Audio 500/5 amp, TouchScreen, GPS, Cell Internet Access, 802.11G
                      Not IN:[I] FM Tuner, OBD-II
                      Preview: temporarily down

Comment

which part number did you get?
                        i found max5070 or max5071...
                        but i am not sure if those are right one...

Originally posted by kingmissel
                        Use the MAX787 and MAX789 IC's from here:
                        http://www.maxim-ic.com/

They do 2 or 5 amps at either 3.3 or 5volts. You can get samples for free. I have a whole box. They work great.

Comment

it would be just simpler to run a line from the trunk computer molex to the front wouldn't it? :P wire is like what..$5 a 100yard spool.

Comment

FYI, you can replace the LM2596-12 in the Lilliput egg with a LM2596-5 (TO-220 version, bend the legs a bit), slap a heat sink on it, and away you go. If you are powering your Lilly off of your OPUS/CarNetix/Sproggy, you probably have an eggstra egg laying around. Put it to good use!
                            MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                              The 5v rail of the Sproggy IS a simple switching regulator based on National simple switcher parts.
                              Hmm, unless my memory fails me, the 5V section of the Sproggy uses the MAX787. The +12V and -12V section is the one that uses the NS part (LM2587).

Edit: OK, I stand corrected - the Mastero version does indeed use the LM2768T-5 part.

Comment

Working...
                              X