Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Opus works with the Insight P4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Opus works with the Insight P4?

I just purchase the Insight P4 mini-itx motherboard... The M10k is just not fast enough to do what I want it to do. But I've been hearing imcompatibility with micro-atx board with the Opus.

Anyone knows if there's a problem with Opus and Insight P4? Or will I be the guniea pig? (oink, oink)

I can't wait for that thing to arrive. I already purchase a P4 2.8C chip and a 1U heatsink/fan. This unit will be place in the same exact location as my current board. I'm just hoping it would fit with that Opus in there.

So, a second question arose...Can I take the Opus board out of the tin shell? Will there be any problem as I will not use the fan if I do that.

There is a known problen with a specific model micro-ATX (mine )

You can take it out of the shell, I have. Not having the fan could allow more heat to build up, but I just removed the fan from the casing and velcrod it in place to the side of the supply.
    EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
    Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
    XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

I don't think guinea pigs go "oink oink"...

Sorry, I didn't have anything constructive to say, but... yeah...
      mATX mobo
      2.4 GHz Celeron (prescott)
      512 MB RAM
      80 GB 3.5" HD
      Runnin off an inverter (for now)
      7" Lilliput
      Microsoft (Pharos) USB GPS
      Have yet to pull the trigger on a slim slot load DVD

Comment

Originally posted by nl4jy
        I just purchase the Insight P4 mini-itx motherboard... The M10k is just not fast enough to do what I want it to do. But I've been hearing imcompatibility with micro-atx board with the Opus.

Anyone knows if there's a problem with Opus and Insight P4? Or will I be the guniea pig? (oink, oink)

I can't wait for that thing to arrive. I already purchase a P4 2.8C chip and a 1U heatsink/fan. This unit will be place in the same exact location as my current board. I'm just hoping it would fit with that Opus in there.

So, a second question arose...Can I take the Opus board out of the tin shell? Will there be any problem as I will not use the fan if I do that.
        You'll be fine. I'm using OPUS 150W with the Insight M/B and a Celeron 2.4GHz and it works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Seth
          You'll be fine. I'm using OPUS 150W with the Insight M/B and a Celeron 2.4GHz and it works just fine.
          Thanks...That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Only now, I need to figure out if the 150 is good enough for me....

Insight P4
          P4 2.8C
          Full Size Slot Loaded DVD Drive
          Full Size HD
          misc USB devices.

(weeeee-eeee, weeeee-eeee) ? I remembered my guniea pig did that noise.

>_< gotta save money to repair my bumper. and to add projection headlights...

Don't want to spend anymore on this thing till after the repairs and mods.

Comment

Hmmm...fullsize components are a problem. Too much 12V drain. I used a slot DVD and a 2.5" hdd (both use the 5V line). I think you should e-mail Kris at OPUS and ask him. At least if he says it can cope with your hardware and turns out it can't you could claim your money back!

Comment

moving a little off topic here...you guys that have the Insight P4. Does it support the native resolutions of our Xenarc/Lilliput or not?

Comment

Okay, back on topic. I just tried to install the board and the opus together, turn on the engine and it doesn't turn on.

I tried the board @ home, and it works out great.

You said you didn't have any problem with it, how did you make it work?

Comment

Update: I'm an idiot!!!!

Turns out, I had the jumper/power switch on backward. After reversing the polarity, I am able to turn on the PC with the iginition.

Now..... Problem is shutdown. It seems to shutdown the PC, yet the PSU still runs. Maybe it's the way I setup standby/hibernation.

Here it goes:

Motherboard BIOS: set to S1
                  Powerbutton is set to instant-off

Windows set to Standby when button is pressed.

Hopefully, it would not drain my battery before I get off work. I was working on it this morning before work.

Just switch the jumper during lunch. Tried out software, GPS, etc..

Turn of engine and ready to leave... Usually it'll take about 5 seconds to shutdown to standby, but I was waiting for minutes, and yet it didn't shutdown.

Turning the engine back on, Xenarc only display a blank screen, but I can clearly hear the PSU fan blowing.

Any Ideas? Gonna work with it after work.

Comment

Okay, I'm able to get it to Hibernation mode. But that takes forever to load up (cause of post bios screen) Somehow I can't set it to standby mode.

What exactly am I supposed to change (beside power settings in windows) In windows, I set it so the power button is set to standby. But everytime I turn on the PC, it's as if the PC is turned off. Doing the loading Windows and stuff.

Any help here?

Comment

Seth, have you tried Standby mode on the Insight P4?

The following is my setting: BIOS: S1+S3
                      Windows: Power button = standby

I noticed when I turned off the engine, it did go into standby mode, but the CPU fan is still spinning. I don't know what exactly is it doing, but it spin for a very long time. And I didn't time it nor had time to wait, so I just left my car while it was like that.

Is it normal?

Comment

Hey nl4jy
                        Didn't notice your posts, sorry.
                        OK let's see :

1) Haven't tried the Standby/Hibernation with the Insight. I'm doing a full power cycle every time so that I can avoid memory leaks etc. One thing I know though is that Standby (S1 suspend to RAM ) still powers the PC to maintain data. It is normal for the PC to not shutdown as you describe. This is dangerous because the M/B will not leave OPUS to shutdown until your battery goes down @ 11V when the OPUS will auto-shutoff for protection, eventually loosing data. What you need is Hibernation (S3 suspend to disk). This will write the contents of your RAM to the disk and power down your PC completely.

2) OPUS does not completely shutoff even when the PC has powered down. It enters a standby mode blinking a led. It is normal.

Hope this helps a little

Comment

Originally posted by Seth
                          Hey nl4jy
                          Didn't notice your posts, sorry.
                          OK let's see :

1) Haven't tried the Standby/Hibernation with the Insight. I'm doing a full power cycle every time so that I can avoid memory leaks etc. One thing I know though is that Standby (S1 suspend to RAM ) still powers the PC to maintain data. It is normal for the PC to not shutdown as you describe. This is dangerous because the M/B will not leave OPUS to shutdown until your battery goes down @ 11V when the OPUS will auto-shutoff for protection, eventually loosing data. What you need is Hibernation (S3 suspend to disk). This will write the contents of your RAM to the disk and power down your PC completely.

2) OPUS does not completely shutoff even when the PC has powered down. It enters a standby mode blinking a led. It is normal.

Hope this helps a little

Seth, thanks for the reply. It helped a bit.

It's just too bad that the m10k can do standby with only power going to the memory and nothing else. And the Insight still powers everything else. Right now, I'm putting in hibernation mode. But the startup time is still very long. Not to mention the shutdown time.

I can't believe by changing to a more powerful machine, I'm losing the quick start/shutdown feature. I wonder if there's a way to work around that.

Comment

I noticed my P4 boards take a lot longer to boot and shutdown than my old M9000 which was lightnening quick in comparission.
                            I fried the CPU though, CPU fan came unplugged by accident, now it crashes and freezez randomly - everytime you try making it do something CPU intensive.

Would an OPUS 150 power an Insight P4, with P4 2.53GHz, 256mb Ram, 3.5" 80gb HD, Slim CD/DVD, USB 2 webcam, Touchscreen, USB Wifi & BT, Geforce 440MX (for Lilliput Native res - 800x480)? If not, anyone got any recommendations...

John
                            My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                            NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

i researched this alot

the opus provides 5amps of current (6.5 amps peak) at 12 volts

i looked around for the current draw of a p4, i found a chart that said my p4 northwood sucks down 10.1 amps @ 12volts at 100% usage, so in theory the opus wouldnt even come close

i found yet another chart somewhere else that claimed it used "7amps @ 12volts" this chart did not meantion 100% cpu utilization or anything

so either my 2.8 p4 uses 7 amps at peak, or 7 amps normal and 10.1 peak

at any rate, i figured if the opus cant do more than 6.5, its worthless...

however on the same charts, it had a 2.4 at [email protected] peak... so perhaps those with slightly slower processors can get away with it

other devices that use 12v are 3.5" drives & cd drives

Comment

Working...
                              X