Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opus 90w Vs. 150w

hey guys,

sorry for the noob question. is the only difference here the amount of power and thus how many devices on your pc u can run and also the length of time the computer can be left on in hibernation before it shuts down?

thanks in advance for your input!

sang

Generally if you are using an ITX motherboard go with the 90 watt. If you have a full sized ATX motherboard then go with the 150 watt. List your componients and I can give a more accurate recommendation.

It can say indefinitely in hibernation because that is a full shutdown and doesn’t use any standby power.

Comment

There is one other 'slight' difference. The 150W ALWAYS provides standby power on the +5VSBY output--consistent with ATX specifications. Depending on your configuration this can cause problems and/or eventual battery drain. The 90W let's you enable/disable this feature with a jumper.
      2004 4runner

Comment

I believe your USB devices could still draw a little power, so the opus could still be supplying a little voltage even when the PC has shut down. The Opus is supposed to shut down completely once your battery drops to a certain level so as not to drain the battery. Some has reported trouble with this feature though. I suspect this is uncommon though.

As a general rule, unplug the opus if you're leaving the car for an extended period of time.
        EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
        Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
        XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by pip
          I believe your USB devices could still draw a little power, so the opus could still be supplying a little voltage even when the PC has shut down. The Opus is supposed to shut down completely once your battery drops to a certain level so as not to drain the battery. Some has reported trouble with this feature though. I suspect this is uncommon though.

As a general rule, unplug the opus if you're leaving the car for an extended period of time.
          That would be the standby power you are talking about. With the 90 watt OPUS it can be disabled. If it is disabled the OPUS won't drain your battery if left for a long period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Zip-Lock
            That would be the standby power you are talking about. With the 90 watt OPUS it can be disabled. If it is disabled the OPUS won't drain your battery if left for a long period of time.
            Ah, I have a 150w Opus - are they different in this respect then?
            EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
            Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
            XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by pip
              Ah, I have a 150w Opus - are they different in this respect then?
              Yes, very different. The 90 watt has a jumper to disable standby power. That means it will fully cut the power to the board when shutdown.

Comment

Is there an echo in here?
                2004 4runner

Comment

About how many things can you connect up using a 90W opus? Right now I'm in the planning stages and I don't know if I should get a 90W or a 150W opus.

Here's what I'm thinking of running:
                  VIA EPIA M10000
                  Segate 40GB 5400 rpm
                  512MB PC2100
                  Toshiba CD/DVD-ROM
                  Lillput 7" TFT VGA
                  AutoEnginuity Scantool
                  some GPS unit
                  and possibly a FM/TV Tuner.

I'll prolly hook up a USB hub up to this too. It sounds like alot of stuff to me. Will a 90W do it?

Comment

You should be able to use the Opus 90. For some numbers, check out the calculator on the mini-itx.com website:

http://www.mini-box.com/powersimulator.html
                    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                    http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Udonboy
                      About how many things can you connect up using a 90W opus? Right now I'm in the planning stages and I don't know if I should get a 90W or a 150W opus.

Here's what I'm thinking of running:
                      VIA EPIA M10000
                      Segate 40GB 5400 rpm
                      512MB PC2100
                      Toshiba CD/DVD-ROM
                      Lillput 7" TFT VGA
                      AutoEnginuity Scantool
                      some GPS unit
                      and possibly a FM/TV Tuner.

I'll prolly hook up a USB hub up to this too. It sounds like alot of stuff to me. Will a 90W do it?
                      The OPUS 90 watt should work with this setup.

Comment

Cool, thanks alot!

Comment

So, if the 90W Opus cuts all power on shutdown, does that mean that you can't use Standby?

If so, then you are missing out on the best feature of the Opus.

<-- Only has a 150

Garry
                          Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                          www.aimee.cc

Comment

theres a jumper on the opus that can disable/enable power after shutdown
                            Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

I would get the 150W. Sure you can save a few bucks with the 90W but it is sure going to suck if you ever have to upgrade. I wouldn't worry about it draining your battery. Mine goes into standby and I have left it for plenty of time without it draining the battery. Frankly I don't think I have even heard of anyone's battery dying from using a 150W.
                              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                              Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Working...
                              X