Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone seen/used this before (60W Car Power Kit)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone seen/used this before (60W Car Power Kit)

I have come across this, and to me seems perfect (i am not bothered about the auto power features offered by the OPUS)

http://www.morexintl.com/60W%20Car%20Power%20Kit.htm

It says it can operate between 9v and 16v with a 12v regulator supplied, to me this woudl meant it would probably be able to surive a crank??

Basically I am too cheap to buy a OPUS and want the next best thing (but not an IPTS).

Your opinions please.

Paul
    MII10000; 512MB RAM; 7" Lilliput Touchscreen; 400watt Muttant AMP; Wireless pc start (keyfob); WiFi; GPS with D3 NM Front End; MediaCar; 40gig 3.5" HD; In-Dash mounted tft;

I think you are right. Probably it won't survive crank, I'm not even sure if it will boot upon ignition like the ITPS.
    But you might look into the Carnetix powersupply. Actually the Carnetix is a not a powersupply but it is a powerregulator and startup/shutdown controller in one. Something like the ITPS but with the features of an Opus.
    But i don't know how much it costs, you might find some further info here on the forum.
    Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Currently : Audi A6 - no install

Second install : VW Passat '97 CarPC
    First install : '87 Audi 80 CarPC

Comment

in order to get it to boot with ignition i've got a few relays i plan to use that are controlled from the acc line to auto power on - one feature i really want is for the pc NOT to shut down on power off, and have being able to create a setup that will allow this, while also allowing ign start up.

Why don't you think it would survive crank? my batt drops to 10.1v on crank every time (even from cold start) so if it can handle 9v input surely it will work, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the reply
      MII10000; 512MB RAM; 7" Lilliput Touchscreen; 400watt Muttant AMP; Wireless pc start (keyfob); WiFi; GPS with D3 NM Front End; MediaCar; 40gig 3.5" HD; In-Dash mounted tft;

Comment

I have that kit and it does survive crank. It does everything apart from the auto on/off, but i plan on making my own some day anyway (at the moment i just hit the power button when i want to turn it on).

Comment

Originally posted by Dominik
          I have that kit and it does survive crank. It does everything apart from the auto on/off, but i plan on making my own some day anyway (at the moment i just hit the power button when i want to turn it on).
          how do you power your setup? directly off battery? that was my plan, and as i said above i'd have a setup for an IGN start power up, and manual power off. you get yours from mini-itx.com?

Comment

Actually i am in Australia, and i bought mine from a local shop (cheaper/faster delivery). Its wired to the battery; i ran a thick power wire from the battery for my Sub amp and it piggybacks off that...

Interestingly its the shutdown that i am more interested in automating! (maybe its because i am so forgetful!)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_
              Why don't you think it would survive crank? my batt drops to 10.1v on crank every time (even from cold start) so if it can handle 9v input surely it will work, or am I missing something?
              In some cars the voltage does drop below 9V, as long as you stay above that, there will be no problem. Was just assuming worst case scenario
              Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Currently : Audi A6 - no install

Second install : VW Passat '97 CarPC
              First install : '87 Audi 80 CarPC

Comment

really i think it depends on your battery and how many cold cranking amps it can provide to you. And if your voltage is dropping really low, for me i found that it helps to turn my radio off (it turns both of my amps off as well) about 5 mins before i park it. Car even starts faster
                Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

Comment

Working...
                X