Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple Turnon Sources To Relay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Multiple Turnon Sources To Relay

    Newbie here :-) First post.


    I was wondering if anything bad would happen if I gave power to my inverter through two different relays. Actually running the outputs from them in parallel. I wouldnt think anything bad would happen, but i'm just making sure.

    I'm doing this because I want the inverter to be on if at least one of the two things are happening. (Power from Ignition, and Power from Power Supply).

    This way, when I use the 'fake UPS' method to hibernate the PC, the Inverter wont shut off until the PC is shut down.

    Thanks In Advance!
    -Tim

  • #2
    After researching more ( .... doh! )

    I realized that I can accomplish the same thing with one relay, but instead using two diodes on each of the turnon lead's (from pc powersupply and accessory line)

    Comment


    • #3
      Here is a thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...7&page=6&pp=15

      Look at post #78.

      Might help.

      Comment


      • #4
        link doesnt work :-\

        Comment


        • #5
          The question would be: where does one get a diode big enough to handle, say, 100amps at 12v?

          Funny, I decided to use exactly the same thing last night...two relays from ignition and Opus output. This is to switch it off completely while the system is shut down.

          Comment


          • #6
            open up your inverter and wire the relay over the switch you currently use to switch it on and off. This will only draw a small amount of current and allow you to use a smaller relay and not have to worry about big diodes etc.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GWRedDragon
              The question would be: where does one get a diode big enough to handle, say, 100amps at 12v?
              Why on earth would you need a diode that big?

              Diodes are on the relay coil. Relay switches permanent feed. Two switching signals go through low power diodes to the coil. What's the big diode for?
              Old Systems retired due to new car
              New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

              Comment


              • #8
                I fixed the link in my earlier post.

                Comment


                • #9
                  thanks for all the tips/comments. now its time for some experimentation.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by timothy0605
                    Newbie here :-) First post.


                    I was wondering if anything bad would happen if I gave power to my inverter through two different relays. Actually running the outputs from them in parallel. I wouldnt think anything bad would happen, but i'm just making sure.

                    I'm doing this because I want the inverter to be on if at least one of the two things are happening. (Power from Ignition, and Power from Power Supply).

                    This way, when I use the 'fake UPS' method to hibernate the PC, the Inverter wont shut off until the PC is shut down.

                    Thanks In Advance!
                    -Tim
                    I have mine set up exactly like that. Works fine for me. One relay off the 12v carputer supply, the other is actually is hooked to my amp switch off of my headunit, which is also hooked to a cube timer as well. Turn off the deck, it sends a signal to turn off carputer. Carputer shuts down, kills power to inverter. Power up deck, restores power to carputer, carputer powers up. Yeehaa.
                    Tidder

                    Try RevFE
                    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


                    I Wish I could ban people

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tidder
                      I have mine set up exactly like that. Works fine for me. One relay off the 12v carputer supply, the other is actually is hooked to my amp switch off of my headunit, which is also hooked to a cube timer as well. Turn off the deck, it sends a signal to turn off carputer. Carputer shuts down, kills power to inverter. Power up deck, restores power to carputer, carputer powers up. Yeehaa.
                      You just answered my question from another post I had. I wanted to use the amp turn on to signal my startup/shutdown controller to turn on/off when I switch on my headunit. Glad it can be down like this.
                      Check out my hopefully useful site...

                      www.hobbybotics.com

                      It's still under design but it is functional

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X