ITPS Needed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITPS Needed?

I am trying to figure this out and after reading mp3car's store description and other sites descriptions, then reading some of the posts, I'm wondering what is the best option for me. So the question for you the reader is what are the pros and cons of the ITPS?

I only need about 70-90W to power my rig, but am wondering if the ITPS is really needed. What I'd like to do is to have my screen, computer, and perfs turn on when I turn the key on (or to ACC). I will probably put a manual kill switch on it later.

The Opus 90W sounds great in all it does but, couldn't I just combine the ITPS and PW-70a for $87 and cut the cost in half and get 10 more Watts? Where am I wrong?
    If you didn't have fun when you were living, were you really alive?

{[X-----------------]} 25% Complete (Plan Made, awaiting funds)

Originally posted by Jeremyvnc
    I am trying to figure this out and after reading mp3car's store description and other sites descriptions, then reading some of the posts, I'm wondering what is the best option for me. So the question for you the reader is what are the pros and cons of the ITPS?

I only need about 70-90W to power my rig, but am wondering if the ITPS is really needed. What I'd like to do is to have my screen, computer, and perfs turn on when I turn the key on (or to ACC). I will probably put a manual kill switch on it later.

The Opus 90W sounds great in all it does but, couldn't I just combine the ITPS and PW-70a for $87 and cut the cost in half and get 10 more Watts? Where am I wrong?
    The ITPS is only 60w
    Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Just look at the specs more closely.

It is not just the power what is important. The opus has low dropout for example.

Comment

The ITPS has a linear regulator, which means you need at least 13.3V in to get 12V out. It is also only regulated to 60W.

All it is good for is a glorified startup/shutdown controller.

The Opus, while more expensive, the cost is totally justified when you look at the advantages. The Opus has a much better regulator setup, which accepts 7-18V input, so it will work even when starting your car - the ITPS will cause the computer to reboot. Believe me, that gets frustrating after the second time it happens, and even more so after that. You can use Standby with the Opus, which means you'll have <5 second "shutdowns" and "startups"

It is definitely worth spending the extra to get your power sorted out, as IMO power and screen are the two most important bits, and things that should last you through many other hardware/software updates.

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

thanks guys I think I understand now
          If you didn't have fun when you were living, were you really alive?

{[X-----------------]} 25% Complete (Plan Made, awaiting funds)

Comment

Working...
          X