2 problems with EPoX board and Opus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 problems with EPoX board and Opus

I am using an Opus 90W, with an Athlon XP Mobile 2500+ on an EPoX EP-8RGM3I. I'm currently using a 40gb Maxtor hard drive, and a slotload slim DVD drive. The only other thing powered off the Opus is my Xenarc 7". With PS_ON connected, the Opus doesn't turn my system on with ignition. Regardless of that, when I short the pins on the board manually, it starts up. When the board is set to any FSB over 100 (133 or 166), it shuts itself of a couple seconds into POST. On 100, it freezes when it's checking IDE devices. If I unplug my HDD and DVD from power while it is booting, it continues as soon as power is cut.

Everything worked fine when tested on a Biostar Socket 370 mobo with slim cdrom and 4gb HD.

The hanging system makes me believe my system is not getting enough power. As for the startup not working, I have read something about an incompatibility with the Opus and some boards. Is my board (EPoX EP-8RGM3I) one of the affected?

Any advice? For the power problem or the startup problem?
    Thanks in advance.

Are you using 8awg wire? If not do so
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Sounds like the Opus is overloaded to me. Might be trying to run too much from it. Should have got the 150 for that setup. The AMD XP processors are very power hungry.
      The 2007 Scion tC + Infill G4 Project | DVDxml.com

Comment

Just looked it up, the XP2500+ CPU alone uses 68 Watts.

Comment

Its a mobile one, it uses around 25w
          CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

Missed that part.

Comment

Too much load... Get the 150W
              90W is ment for ITX...

Probablly the Epox is taking slightly more power than the Biostar, and you were already at the limit with the Biostar.

There is no issue with any Epox board. (At least a known one)
              I'll spout simplistic opinions for hours on end.
              Ridicule anyone who disagrees with me,
              and generally foster divisiveness,
              cynicism and lower level of public dialog!

Comment

Grr... does this mean I'm gonna have to throw $200 for an additional 150W now? There's no trade-up program or anything, is there? I also don't like how the 150 doesn't cut off standby power...

Is there any way the power limit is stopping my computer from starting with ignition? Any other explanation for that?

Oh and I'm using 10AWG straight from the battery. I'm using the chassis as a ground. I'd hate to have to rewire the whole thing, is there that much of a difference? I've noticed the wires on the Opus plug (that you solder the battery and ignition terminals to) are only 14 gauge. Won't that mostly defeat the purpose of a higher gauge?

Comment

The Epox board doesn't do overclocking very well (its pitiful), but it is compatible with the Opus for startup. Unfortunately it will only run your Athlon at about 1.2 ghz so it will NOT be able to utilize it properly.

I would like to recommend the Biostar M7NCG400 mATX mobo as it has really great overclocking abilities and takes full advantage of the Athlon-M processors. However, it has an incompatibility with the Opus (150W) and won't be able to turn it on unless you get Opus to modify the power supply first.

In my case, even after Opus modified the supply it STILL wouldn't turn on the Biostar. Hence I went with the EPoX, hence I found it won't overclock, hence the Athlon-M is now in my destop & the desktops AthlonXP 1600 is is the carputer.

Check out the Chaintech mATX mobos & see if they have a decent BIOS. Maybe one of them & an Opus 150W would work out.
                  EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                  Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                  XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by S1N3d dW17
                    Grr... does this mean I'm gonna have to throw $200 for an additional 150W now? There's no trade-up program or anything, is there? I also don't like how the 150 doesn't cut off standby power...

Is there any way the power limit is stopping my computer from starting with ignition? Any other explanation for that?

Oh and I'm using 10AWG straight from the battery. I'm using the chassis as a ground. I'd hate to have to rewire the whole thing, is there that much of a difference? I've noticed the wires on the Opus plug (that you solder the battery and ignition terminals to) are only 14 gauge. Won't that mostly defeat the purpose of a higher gauge?
                    I dont think there's a tradeup unfortunetly. The new version will have STBY cut off but it's coming out probably no sooner than in a month or two. What you can try is power your LCD with a separate PSU. It wouldnt cost more than 70-100$.
                    I'll spout simplistic opinions for hours on end.
                    Ridicule anyone who disagrees with me,
                    and generally foster divisiveness,
                    cynicism and lower level of public dialog!

Comment

I chose the Epox because of its additional USB ports over the Biostar. I also might use the dual-head video in the future. I modded my CPU with a higher multiplier, because the board doesn't let you choose one in the BIOS. I managed to get it close to 2 GHz with a regular AC power supply in my house. Unfortunately, none of this works in the car. I can only get it to POST at 100 FSB, so I might have to mod the multiplier again . Otherwise, I guess I'm gonna have to go get an Opus 150W...I think I might have a poke around with a multimeter first though.

Comment

I solved the power issue now, surprised how much of a difference taking the Xenarc off the Opus made...

However, the Opus still does not turn my computer on/off. It turns on fine when I short the pins manually, and it also turns on another test motherboard fine. Yes, I have tried switching the polarity of the plug.

Any suggestions?

Comment

put an ohm meter on the leads and see if it is giving a full short when powering up?
                          maybe you have a picky board.

Comment

power hungry

i thought a 2500+M was 45 watts?
                            don't worry i know i usually don't make much sense

Comment

Originally posted by S1N3d dW17
                              I solved the power issue now, surprised how much of a difference taking the Xenarc off the Opus made...

However, the Opus still does not turn my computer on/off. It turns on fine when I short the pins manually, and it also turns on another test motherboard fine. Yes, I have tried switching the polarity of the plug.

Any suggestions?
                              I switched to the exact same EPoX m/b because the Biostar M7NCG400 wouldn't turn on (even with the supply modded by opus). It turned on the OPoX OK for a couple of weeks, not the opus will not turn on/off the PC at all. It really sucks that a piece of equipment this expensive doesn't work as advertised.
                              EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                              Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                              XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Working...
                              X