X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me about hooking up 2 batteries

how is it done?

what equipment is involved?

is it best to use just a stock starter battery and then stick a deep cycle battery in your trunk?

your advice is appreciated
    thanks
    2004 G35 Coupe project

check this place out, they break it down pretty good.
    http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

Comment

You can find more detailed stuff through Google or whatever, but here's the basic rundown:

-How is it done?
      Best way (my way) is with a battery isolator. Alternator to isolator, isolator to batteries, re-wire accessories to aux battery.

-What equipment is involved?
      Isolator and two batteries, cables and tools.

-Is it best to use just a stock starter battery and then stick a deep cycle battery in your trunk?
      Yes. (or you could stick two deep cycles in your trunk :P Page 2: Power & Lighting)
      95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
      ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

the opima website says to only use 2 of the same batteries when doing this
        are you sure its a good idea to use a stock starter battery + a deep cycle battery?

pictures of wiring techniques would be ideal
        2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

The batteries only have to be the same if wired in parallel, they can be different if using an isolator. I have two Optimas in the back, and a Diehard under the hood (not 'stock', but not Optima). I had to ditch the old Optima when upgrading to dual aux and get two new ones (same age) because they're wired in parallel. You're not supposed to use different batteries in parallel because they will drain each other, but an isolator separates them when not being charged.

Only pics I've got are what are on my site (link in my signature). The isolator is under the battery on the wheel well, so I don't have a pic. Search Google for isolator setups for more details and schematics.

Comment

I believe the deep cycle/standard battery has been covered. If I recall the thread correcly someone was having problems with the deep cycle not holding a charge after a year or so. this had to do with it being continously charge, which deep cycle's are not designed to do. They are made to be charged then discharged down to something like 35%.

When I was big into 4X4'ing I ran two standard batteries off an isolator. One for the engine and one for acc's like winches, lights, etc. For as little as your computer will draw you'll be fine with just two standard batteries.

Comment

If he's putting the battery in the trunk though, he'd need to vent it for a standard battery, and probably put it in a battery box.

I've only had my Optimas for a couple months, so I can't make any claim on what will happen in a year, but they're designed for car audio and RV applications, which are both frequent/continued charge. Yellow Tops are also recommended as primary automotive batteries. I don't know what makes Optimas so great, or other deep cycles suck, but Optimas are very versatile.

We don't know what he wants to use it for... if it's JUST for the pooter, I don't even think a second battery is warranted.

Comment

Working...
              X