No Power to M10000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power to M10000

Last week, my carputer was working great. No problems. Then suddenly, I went to start it up, and nothing happened, I just got a series of beeps from the motherboard, then nothing. Seemed to have power. So I took it out, opened up the case, and reset the cmos. I also took out the ram and put it back in. After that, went to power it up, and got nothing! No beeps, no lights, no fan, nothing. I took a voltmeter to it, got no power from the molex connectors. ITPS was showing little less than 12v to the positive (white) cable that goes to the power supply (pw70). I figured somehow I blew the power supply. So I ordered a new one, came today. Pw120. Plug that sucker in, NOTHING! I get no voltage from those molex either. ITPS still showing little less than 12v (11.93 or something). Anybody have any idea what the heck is wrong? Could the ITPS not be providing the powre the MB needs with less than 12v? There's 14+v going into the ITPS, so I just figure my voltmeter is a little off or something. Any ideas?

What did the mobo beeps sound like?

: Jetway J7F2 1.5Ghz Mainboard : Cubid 3688 : CarNetix CNX-P1260 :
    : Netgear 802.11g PCMCIA : 2 x LinITX 7" Screens :
    : BU353 USB GPS Mouse : Panasonic UJ845 DVDRW :

Comment

I think it was 2 or 3 short, then one lower pitched longer one. I wish I could still hear them.

Originally posted by Curly_cat
      What did the mobo beeps sound like?

Comment

Sounds like a definite problem with the mobo.

The beep you are describing usually indicates that the onboard video is not working, and I have seen exactly the same symptoms as you report with the board beeping like that once and then refusing to power up at all.

First things to test are:

Is the RAM seated properly
        Try a different PSU
        Reset the CMOS settings (Jumper on the board)

If all else fails, send it back to the retailer for a replacement if it's still under warranty.

Comment

I've just re-read your first post and realised that you have done all of the things I suggested already.

Looks like you might need a new mobo.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I did try a new powre supply, same thing. Tried without the ram on the board, still nothing. Is there some test I can do to see if it's the motherboard?

Sounds like a definite problem with the mobo.

The beep you are describing usually indicates that the onboard video is not working, and I have seen exactly the same symptoms as you report with the board beeping like that once and then refusing to power up at all.

First things to test are:

Is the RAM seated properly
            Try a different PSU
            Reset the CMOS settings (Jumper on the board)

If all else fails, send it back to the retailer for a replacement if it's still under warranty.

Comment

Take the RAM out and power up the board. The CPU fan should still start and the board should give an error beep due to having no RAM.

If it does not do both of these things, it is more than likely faulty.

If you do get the fan spinning and an RAM error beep, then replace the RAM and power it up again with nothing else attached just to see if you get any video output. (You may get the same error beep that you reported in your first post). You should see the POST info and then if no HDD attached, you'll get the system disk boot error message.

If you manage to get this far then plug in the HDD and reboot and it may work OK.

My thoughts are that unfortunately you will not get any video output and will have a dead mobo.

Comment

Yeah, I have a feeling you're right. I didn't get any video at all when it would beep, certainly not getting it now, but I'll give it a shot. No CPU fan spins either. Could it possibly be something with the ITPS not sending the turn on signal to the power button switch on the mobo? Or maybe I have it wired wrong? Would something power on even if no command was sent to turn on the mobo?

Take the RAM out and power up the board. The CPU fan should still start and the board should give an error beep due to having no RAM.

If it does not do both of these things, it is more than likely faulty.

If you do get the fan spinning and an RAM error beep, then replace the RAM and power it up again with nothing else attached just to see if you get any video output. (You may get the same error beep that you reported in your first post). You should see the POST info and then if no HDD attached, you'll get the system disk boot error message.

If you manage to get this far then plug in the HDD and reboot and it may work OK.

My thoughts are that unfortunately you will not get any video output and will have a dead mobo.

Comment

Could be the ram is bad....or the chipset just doesn't like it. Mobos with onboard video that shares system memory barf due to incompatible memory sometimes.
                  EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                  Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                  XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Ok, made progress. I rigged up a switch for the mobo turn-on, and I got power. Mobo turns on, beeps twice, then pause, then low pitched beep. I took the ram out and booted it, and it just beeped (high pitched) over and over again. Put the ram back in, same thing. Gonna try a new ram chip.

Originally posted by pip
                    Could be the ram is bad....or the chipset just doesn't like it. Mobos with onboard video that shares system memory barf due to incompatible memory sometimes.

Comment

Ok, did the same thing with new ram chip. Crap. The beeps are, one high pitched long beep, followed by same pitch short beeps. Then pause. Then followed by a low pitched short beep, then a lower pitched short beep. Anybody know what these damn beeps mean?

Originally posted by Norrin302
                      Ok, made progress. I rigged up a switch for the mobo turn-on, and I got power. Mobo turns on, beeps twice, then pause, then low pitched beep. I took the ram out and booted it, and it just beeped (high pitched) over and over again. Put the ram back in, same thing. Gonna try a new ram chip.

Comment

It's the error code that means the onboard video is faulty I think.

You're gonna need a new mobo.

Comment

Put a PCI gfx and see if you have video.
                          If you do and you get CMOS Checksum error it's probably a corrupted BIOS.
                          Flash you BIOS with the latest version and see what happens.

http://www.viavpsd.com/product/Downl...therboardId=81

It happened before...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=flash+bios

Comment

Found this about Award BIOS error beeps:

Beep Codes

The only AwardBIOS beep code indicates that a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps. Any other beeps are probably a RAM (Random Access Memory) problems.

Comment

That is exactly what I"m looking for! I'm gonna go out today and pick up a pci video card and see what I can find out. Hopefully flashing the bios will work like it did in that thread. Those are the same exact simptoms I"m seeing. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know what happens.

Originally posted by Seth
                              Put a PCI gfx and see if you have video.
                              If you do and you get CMOS Checksum error it's probably a corrupted BIOS.
                              Flash you BIOS with the latest version and see what happens.

http://www.viavpsd.com/product/Downl...therboardId=81

It happened before...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=flash+bios

Comment

Working...
                              X