Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which wire is power and which is ground in Inverter on/off switch. Relay Question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which wire is power and which is ground in Inverter on/off switch. Relay Question.

I can't find the original forum but I'm adding a 12v .5 amp at 125vac SPST relay to the on/off switch of my inverter so it powers up with the Ignition.
    But I don't exactly know which pins on the relay get soldered to which wires in the Inverter.

The top of the switch has a " l " mark, and the bottom of the switch has a "O" mark. So does the " l " mark match the + of the inverter switch? or does the + come in to the inverter through the "O" mark on the inverter switch?

Pressing the " l " part of the switch will turn the inverter on, but that still doesn't tell me which way the electricity is flowing. From " l " to "O" or from "O" to " l ".

I know my question is confusing, but I hope somebody followed what I said.

If i'm following what you said corectly it shouldnt matter which way you connect the inverter, just like a normal switch it dosent really matter which way around you connect it (unless of course you are using the NC contact as well)
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ighlight=relay

Halfway down VCBB5 posts a diagram that I am following. Basically, I need to solder to the "HOT" 12v lead that comes from the battery before the switch because the other side of the switch has no power. I just can't determine which side of the switch is truly coming from the Battery. " l " or "O".

Comment

err what? It should work either way, just connect the invertor to one of the terminals and 12v to the other.

Comment

Wonderworm, relays don't have polarity - all it's doing is connecting two pieces of metal, so it doesn't matter which way the current flows across it.

Comment

If someone could tell me exactly which connections go to where I would very much appreciate it.

Comment

Is this how I connect it? Also, can I just use the ground (3rd prong on AC plug) inside the inverter as a ground? Or do I need to run the relay's ground to the car frame?

Comment

is that a rocker switch or a momentary switch?
                assuming its a rocker switch it dosent matter which way around it goes, connect I to one side of the relay and O to the other side, like we have been saying

Comment

Thanks for the help. All done.

Comment

Well, I thought I was all done, but the relay didn't seem to work as planned. I wired it up like the above diagram and the inverter just stayed on whether the IGN was on or off. It was just like it was wired straight to the battery and I had shorted the on off switch with no relay.

So I obviously don't know how to wire a relay to an on/off switch. Any help on where I messed up is appreciated.

Comment

@wonderworm- I don't know why you're trying to wire through the switch. Why not leave the switch alone so that you have a switch just in case you ever want to use it. This is how I wired my relay...pin 30 +12v to the inverter's positive terminal, 87a +12v from the battery, pin 85 (to ground), pin 86 ACC +12v. If I leave my switch on then inverter is completey automated(turns on and off with key on and off), if I leave it off it's manual. So if there is no real important reason for you trying to wire the relay to the switch you can always scrap that plan.
                      Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Originally posted by wonderworm
                        Well, I thought I was all done, but the relay didn't seem to work as planned. I wired it up like the above diagram and the inverter just stayed on whether the IGN was on or off. It was just like it was wired straight to the battery and I had shorted the on off switch with no relay.

So I obviously don't know how to wire a relay to an on/off switch. Any help on where I messed up is appreciated.
                        stupid question but did you have the switch in the on or off position?

Comment

This is how I wired my relay...pin 30 +12v to the inverter's positive terminal, 87a +12v from the battery, pin 85 (to ground), pin 86 ACC +12v.
                          I wired it to the switch because that way my relay can be inside my inverter. Remember, I have a tiny .5amp relay and it's not labelled with any pin numbers. I am wiring the relay inside the inverter, not to the outside positive terminal. It should be simple. When the relay receives +12v from the IGN, it connects the circuit and shorts the on/off switch. When I turn off the IGN, the relay should turn off and allow my on/off switch to work as normal again. I know someone has used the relay to toggle the switch and not just inline on the main power wire right?............................................ .......................and with that sentence I think the solution just hit me. I need to wire the switch to the incoming +12 volt lead just before the switch and not connect the relay to the other side of the switch. Which brings me back to my original question of this thread. Which side of the on/off switch receives the +12 power and then passes it to the other side. Does the " O " side receive the +12volt, or does the " I " side receive the 12+ from the battery.

p.s. Are relay's directional?

Comment

Originally posted by wonderworm
                            I wired it to the switch because that way my relay can be inside my inverter. Remember, I have a tiny .5amp relay and it's not labelled with any pin numbers. I am wiring the relay inside the inverter, not to the outside positive terminal. It should be simple. When the relay receives +12v from the IGN, it connects the circuit and shorts the on/off switch. When I turn off the IGN, the relay should turn off and allow my on/off switch to work as normal again. I know someone has used the relay to toggle the switch and not just inline on the main power wire right?............................................ .......................and with that sentence I think the solution just hit me. I need to wire the switch to the incoming +12 volt lead just before the switch and not connect the relay to the other side of the switch. Which brings me back to my original question of this thread. Which side of the on/off switch receives the +12 power and then passes it to the other side. Does the " O " side receive the +12volt, or does the " I " side receive the 12+ from the battery.

p.s. Are relay's directional?
                            You should invest in a multimeter. You can pick up a digital one at Walmart for less than $20 and if you had one it'd take you a couple of seconds to answer that question(assuming you already have the inverter open). I'd open mine up but it'd take me a few days before I can get back to you. If you're willing to wait let me know so I know to do it or not.

From what I understand about relays they are not directional.
                            Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Working...
                            X