Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me how this works and how you hook it up ????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain to me how this works and how you hook it up ????

This says up to 200w.... I dont know how much power I'm going to use.... A mini atx motherboard (with on board video and audio) ((open to opinions)) probably a standard cpu ((housecomputer type)) a single stick of 256 ram, a DESKTOP type 100 Gig hard drive ((have a brand new extra one sitting here, so I want to use it)) a dvd drive and a wifi card for wardriving....

Do I just plug this give this thing 12v+ and a ground than plug it into the motherboard and perhipherals ?? What about mounting and going from the white rectangle plug to the white rectangle plug on the the mobo ?? I dont want to have to use an inverter but I dont understand this dc-dc stuff very well....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...707790808&rd=1
    Ranger is gone, in with the new

02 Lincoln LSE
    Audio/Video In The Works

That said, I hate people that just say "search!", and you're a newbie, so I'll answer your questions . That PSU is designed to plug directly into VIA mini-ITX MBs (though it will work with others.) It takes a 12V input, but to power it off your car battery you're going to need a regulator.

You can find more like it, and accompanying accessories, here. I think they might even have a wide-input one better suited for automotive use.

In any case, you should be able to answer most of your questions by poking around here.

Comment

That PSU requires a regulated 12V input, otherwise you WILL fry your components.

In my opinion, get yourself an Opus, it will do everything you want, and is going to do a much better job than this "pw-120-m" thing will.

Take a look at this (hint, Vendor A is the Opus, Vendor B is the PW-120-M)

Garry
      Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
      www.aimee.cc

Comment

I looked, but I'm not spending 200 bucks on a power supply right now... I just cant see myself doing it right now.... I'm not cheap, but I wanted to do this on a budget and so far it looks like the screen is going to kill me

02 Lincoln LSE
        Audio/Video In The Works

Comment

Originally posted by Cruznlife1
          I looked, but I'm not spending 200 bucks on a power supply right now... I just cant see myself doing it right now.... I'm not cheap, but I wanted to do this on a budget and so far it looks like the screen is going to kill me
          Better to spend $200 now, then to spend much more later replacing fried/dead components

Comment

I bought the one from www.carnetix.com. It is by far the best thing out there in my opinion. It works like a charm and it doesn't cost $200. Survives cranking the engine too!

Comment

Yeah but is the carnetix a power supply of Just the regulator, than I have to use a power supply anyways.... I use the carnetix in conjunction with what I posted above....

02 Lincoln LSE
              Audio/Video In The Works

Comment

heyyy....1st POST

i'm totaly new at this...i'm about to install me a carputer, I allready ordered the Liliput 7" with tochscreen.

now my question is: to power everything I only need the OPUS? do I need anything alse or is the OPUS all I need? So just hook the OPUS to the car battery and ITX (+dvd drive)? And I can hook the TFT right to the sigarette lighter...right?

BTW: NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SITE!!!

PS: there are a lot of 'noobs' with 'power' questions here (including myself), so it might be nice to put a sticky topic on here explaining everything we need to know about this power thing....maybe???

Comment

ThaBoy,

If you get yourself an Opus, then yes, that is all you need. I would also hook the screen up to the Opus, it will give you a cleaner picture than using the "egg" "regulator" (which is pretty crap)

Otherwise, if you decide to get yourself a case with a 60W 12v power supply (such as the Travla C134 etc) then you can get yourself a Carnetix CNX-P1260 which will work along with the PSU inside those cases

Garry
                  Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                  www.aimee.cc

Comment

thank you 'Confused'!

I think I gonna buy the "VIA Epia M10000N" (146) or the "VIA EBGA EPIA-MII12000" (223), on the same site I can also get a CarPowerset MiniITX 80W Power for Cubids (or 60W), this is a lot cheaper then the OPUS ofcourse...if I do this, I do not need the OPUS...right? I guess the OPUS is the best option ...but I'm still not sure if I will spend that much money...if this can save my perhepials I will buy it ofcourse but if the 'Carpowerset' can give me all I need...I will get that one.

greetz

Comment

Working...
                    X