Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get power to a laptop

hey every1

am new here, and am building my carputer, anywats i've got an extra laptop its a toshiba satellite 3000-400 it uses "AC adapter Auto-sensing AC adapter (100/240 V) for world-wide usage "

how can i get it to use the car's battery or get it some power.

thanx in advance

Rasheed
    93 MAZDA MX6 KLZE (sold :( )
    2005 STI :)

first

look at the power brick and see what dc voltage it puts out

that way you have a starting point

its probably 17-19v so go here, google or ebay for a dc/dc power brick with that output, normally called a car travel charger or similiar and thats it ! ! now you need someway to switch the laptop on / off remotely, bicycle brakes have proved worthy in the past
    Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

get a dc/dc powersupply for it. i'm taking the same approch as you. next thing you might want do to is get an itps (shutdown controller) rig it up to a relayto send power to the laptop. next thing open your laptop up and with a multimeter figure out where the power button closes its circuit and solder the power switch connecter from the itps into the laptop and you should be set to go enjoy

Comment

Or if you don't want to screw with that, just take the easy way out (though not the best way to do it) and buy an inverter.
        Zen Fat Loss

Comment

sometimes they call it an "Targus auto/air adaptor"...and Fred Meyers carries them on the left coast of the USA here....not sure which stores you have where you are.

2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

If you want to build it yourself, take a look here:
            http://webench.national.com/servlet/...I=2.3&op_TA=30

I want to do the same, and my laptop need 19,5v/2,3a. Haven't got the time right now to do the calculations on the components.

/Schroinx

Comment

Originally posted by SAScooby
              now you need someway to switch the laptop on / off remotely, bicycle brakes have proved worthy in the past

Never heard of this....you mean a handbarke of some sort? How would you use that?

Comment

check out the show off your project section, I think its a S2000 that uses a bicycle brake to press the on / off switch on the laptop, do a search for bicycle, chances are there wont be many with this idea ! it sticks in my head for some or other reason..............
                Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

It was used to push the power button on the docking station.

Edit: I always get outposted
                  肚子笑痛了
                  S60 Install

Comment

Working...
                  X