Will this setup get me in trouble?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this setup get me in trouble?

I am running a Shuttle XPC and it is being powered by a 350w inverter. The inverter is directly wired to my battery. For now I just hit the switch on the inverter then the switch on the PC.

I have not thoroughly tested the setup yet as it is new to me but I have run the PC and my radio in the garage for an hour without starting the engine and did not have any problems when starting. I also was able to survive cranking, which should be expected directly wired....I think.

What I would like to do is gutt the PC and place everything in the jack storage area of my truck. Definitely enough room and you'll never be able to tell I have a PC in there. I would then have a remote switch that I use to turn on/hibernate the PC but this would require the inverter to be powered at all times.

How much draw does the inverter draw when powered up but not being used?

I have to say that I am impressed with the fact that I can use it (in moderation) without starting the engine. For now, the PC is a 1.8 ghz but will definitely be upgraded in the future. I would go the Opus route but availablilty is sparse, it's not cheap and it has me worried that when I upgrade the PC with a better processor and HD that the Opus will not handle it.

Troy
    Done!

If you're into fishing, checkout my website! http://www.pennsylvaniaanglers.com

i dont know if ide leave the inverter hardwired all the time. I plan on installing a pushbutton switch so i can turn it on and off when needed. lot safer and lot faster than new car shopping if something should decide to go the way of the flame....

Comment

yeh, i have an invertered hardwired to my battery with an on/off switch. search 'hardwire inverter' and you'll see some automatic setups that may be more down your alley.
      --------
      mykolJay
      99 Accord coupe
      http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
      My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

i would go with the opus it is worth it mine is running a p4 2.8 with 1024 ram and a 250g hard disc plus the usual stuff for wireless gps etc, with no problem at all. hth

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I am hearing you John, you bring up a great point. No need to take chances.

mykol, I did some searching and found some ideas. I'm not real sure which way to go just yet but wanted to make sure I was not re-inventing the wheel.

ste1806, that is great to hear unfortuynately obtaining an opus right now is not easy due to manufacturing delays. I also hate spending $200 to do the same exact job as what I already have.

Most likely I will setup a relay to power the inverter, the relay controlled via ignition. I then need to give a momentary pulse to the power switch of the computer. I am not 100% sure of how to achieve that just yet, would be nice if it was incorporated into the ignition as well. Time to do more searching.

Troy
          Done!

Comment

Using Hibernate you don't need to keep the PC powered.

You could use an ITPS as a startup/shutdown controller (and bypass the terrible onboard "regulation") and that will allow the computer to be controlled by the ignition.

Congrats on having an inverter/battery that will survive the crank, I hope it stays powerful enough to continue to do so.

Garry
            Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
            www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused

Congrats on having an inverter/battery that will survive the crank, I hope it stays powerful enough to continue to do so.

Garry
              Thanks but for the record, the truck is only 6 months old. I am sure as it wears and the battery wears that I could come into issues but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Last night I gutted my Shuttle XPC and am starting the process of mounting it onto a plate so that I can put it in a concealed location. I regret buying the Shuttle now, I could have saved some money and just bought a Mobo and Opus PS but hindsight is well ya know. If I had a trunk though the Shuttle case would be perfect so it will remain on the shelf in the garage til that rainy day.

Troy
              Done!

Comment

I think the phrase you're looking for is "hindsight is a wonderful thing"

For now, enjoy it, and you could see if you can pick up an ITPS purely for the startup/shutdown controller on it (it's not much use for anything else ) and you should be pretty happy

I want someone to witness that I have just recommended an ITPS...damn I must be ill (must be the 14k lines of VB code that I'm staring at )

Garry
                Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
                  you could see if you can pick up an ITPS purely for the startup/shutdown controller on it (it's not much use for anything else ) and you should be pretty happy

I want someone to witness that I have just recommended an ITPS...damn I must be ill (must be the 14k lines of VB code that I'm staring at )

Garry
                  I'm your witness and I just ordered one, should take care of me nicely. Don't worry, I WILL NOT be back asking how to wire it with my inverter!

Troy
                  Done!

Comment

Working...
                  X