ITPTS WIring question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITPTS WIring question

I have a ITPTS and pw 70. My computer does not turn on with the ITPS connected, the fan starts to spin but it does not actually power up.
    I have a thin remote wire connecting to the swtiched + lead, and the main power rail connected to the constant power. Is this wrong? Where is the main power supposed to be coming from?? Not the switched rail i hope..

I tested the pw-70 alone, everything works fine.
    Thanks guys!

On the ITPS the three wires go to the following:

WHITE = HOT ALL THE TIME - I ran a wire directly from my truck battery.
    RED = SWITCHED - I ran a wire from my radio's remote wire
    BLACK = GROUND - I ran a ground from my chassis.

The other side of the ITPS has the two wire connection. The red goes to the WHITE wire of the PW70 and the BLACK goes to the BLACK wire of the PW70.

Hope that helps.
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

I hooked them up backwards the first time, wouldn't you think red would be hot and white would be switched? ****ed me off enough that I switched the wires to make more sense to me.

Comment

YEa

That's what i thought too at first, i had thrown the instructions away, so i threw my first itpts away too. But now this is the second. It provides enough power for the Lili but the damn computer won't boot up. Just the fan spins. Arrghhh, ****ing me off.

Comment

So you have it hooked up the way I said above? What all do you have powered off it?
          Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

Nah i have it hooked up right. I was just thinking though, i have a inline fuse holder, and i had lost the fuse. Standard automotive fuse that is, except there aint no standards about it. They have differen sizes. I had the biggest one in there before, but now i have a small dinky one that doesn't make full contact. I am thinking this is the problem and will test/verify tonight. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Not fuse or anything like that at all

Everything seemed to be working fine, except the mobo would only power the fan. Nothing on screen, just plain nothing else worked. So i ripped it out of my care, took it inside, hooked it up to a standard power supply.. still same thing. only fan works on mobo. SO then, before losing it and ripping the damn thing apart, i hooked up a keyboard, It started booting up!!!
              What the hell? This never happened before. I have the bios setup right, no pause on keyboar errors.. Besides it would have beeped... Anyone heard of this bs before?

Comment

Had the same problem when I was using a commell Pentium III board with intel chipset. Turns out the microcontroller code needs to be change in order to get 815 chipset working. I have bought the programmer and am tyring to find a fix right now. The operation of PS-ON is very simple. All you need to do is short the pins for a second and the system will turn on. I have even resorted to using car keys to jumper these settings when troubleshooting boards.

The ITPS is controllered by a microcontroller that is responsible for providing the short to PS-ON that is needed for the board to turn on. I think the problem with the Intel 815 chipset is to do with the amount time the PS-ON circuit is closed for.

I don't have fix yet, just want to confirm that there is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by fakeinator
                  I have a ITPTS and pw 70. My computer does not turn on with the ITPS connected, the fan starts to spin but it does not actually power up.
                  I have a thin remote wire connecting to the swtiched + lead, and the main power rail connected to the constant power. Is this wrong? Where is the main power supposed to be coming from?? Not the switched rail i hope..

I tested the pw-70 alone, everything works fine.
                  Thanks guys!
                  dude. try metering the ITPS output voltage . it's probably too low. bet you tested either in the house with a 12v supply or in the car with the engine off?

it needs at least 13.8v input to put out 12v. if u give it anything less, the output voltage will drop and you put can't power up. I have the exact same problem (i have itps with a tc board, with it's own dc-dc convertor).
                  CarPC Ver 4 completed. Aopen i45GMT-HD, C2D mobile 2GHz. Photofast 64GB SSD. Novatel EU-850D

Comment

I am having the same problems with the fan just spinning some seconds, and then it shuts down. I will try with a keyboard later.

Just a question, I have one of those back-up battery between the car battery and the ITPS. But when I think about it that can never work right? The battery will only give 12V to the ITPS, even if I give it 13-14V from the battery. So that is probably my problem. I found the schematics on www.cartft.com and they adviced me to do it. Can someone tell me if it can work with the backup battery? I an just wire the battery to the ITPS right?

I first thougt that the ITPS isn't giving enough ampère, and that's why my via mb isn't booting completely?

Comment

Originally posted by drib
                      I am having the same problems with the fan just spinning some seconds, and then it shuts down. I will try with a keyboard later.

Just a question, I have one of those back-up battery between the car battery and the ITPS. But when I think about it that can never work right? The battery will only give 12V to the ITPS, even if I give it 13-14V from the battery. So that is probably my problem. I found the schematics on www.cartft.com and they adviced me to do it. Can someone tell me if it can work with the backup battery? I an just wire the battery to the ITPS right?

I first thougt that the ITPS isn't giving enough ampère, and that's why my via mb isn't booting completely?
                      dude
                      wrong side.
                      you suppose to put the SLA battery between the ITPS & your comp. remember to put a diode between the ITPS and the battery to prevent backward flow
                      CarPC Ver 4 completed. Aopen i45GMT-HD, C2D mobile 2GHz. Photofast 64GB SSD. Novatel EU-850D

Comment

Originally posted by ptk
                        dude. try metering the ITPS output voltage . it's probably too low. bet you tested either in the house with a 12v supply or in the car with the engine off?

it needs at least 13.8v input to put out 12v. if u give it anything less, the output voltage will drop and you put can't power up. I have the exact same problem (i have itps with a tc board, with it's own dc-dc convertor).
                        As PTK said you need to have more than 13.6 Volt on The ITPS Input to Have Enough Juice to powerup the computer

I know i had similar Problem with mine tried it on a Bench PSU (13.50 V 30 Amps) but at the output of the ITPS i had only 11.81 wich wasnt enough to power up My ECS L7VMM3 (AMD Athlon Mobile 1600+)

i just removed the ITPs and lowered the Voltage to about 12.2 and everything worked fine

As so much poeple said Dont bother with a PW70 80 120 or 200 with an ITPS if you want to go CarPuter it wont cut it at all since the Engine will need to run almost everytime you want to use it because after only 5 min without the engine running the battery goes back to 12.5 13 volt wich is not enough to make everything run

If i had know all of this before i would have gotten myself a Good OPUS Unit instead of bulding a nasty Step Up/ Buck PSU with the TI 5071...

Have fun everyone!!!

Only a Fool does'nt change idea!

Comment

dude
                          they is 2 ways past that

1. use a 3 way toggle switch. centre way goes to your board, the other 2 ways go to the battery and output of ITPS. So when you throw one side, it's powered by ITPS and the other side, it's powered by the battery. That way you still can power up your board when engine is off

2. use a relay. control voltage from the ignition circuit. that way, when you turns on ignition, it's powered by ITPS, when it's off, powered by battery

both scenario, presumably when the engine is off, you don't need ITPS to filter the spikes.

of coz you going to get transcient drop out when you switch, u will probably need a 12 V battery in between your board and the switch

kao

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf404
                            As PTK said you need to have more than 13.6 Volt on The ITPS Input to Have Enough Juice to powerup the computer

I know i had similar Problem with mine tried it on a Bench PSU (13.50 V 30 Amps) but at the output of the ITPS i had only 11.81 wich wasnt enough to power up My ECS L7VMM3 (AMD Athlon Mobile 1600+)

i just removed the ITPs and lowered the Voltage to about 12.2 and everything worked fine

As so much poeple said Dont bother with a PW70 80 120 or 200 with an ITPS if you want to go CarPuter it wont cut it at all since the Engine will need to run almost everytime you want to use it because after only 5 min without the engine running the battery goes back to 12.5 13 volt wich is not enough to make everything run

If i had know all of this before i would have gotten myself a Good OPUS Unit instead of bulding a nasty Step Up/ Buck PSU with the TI 5071...

Have fun everyone!!!

Only a Fool does'nt change idea!
                            What problem did you have with the TI PT5071? I use PT5071's for 12V DC-DC going to a PW60 and it works great..engine on/off, survives crank etc...
                            My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

Originally posted by EBJUSTIN
                              What problem did you have with the TI PT5071? I use PT5071's for 12V DC-DC going to a PW60 and it works great..engine on/off, survives crank etc...
                              huh? how did TI PT50071 get into this discussion?

Comment

Working...
                              X