Powering up normal ATX PSU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering up normal ATX PSU

I need to install 2 lcd monitors and a portable dvd player in my wife's car and decided to hook them all up to a normal ATX PSU with molex connectors since they all work off 12v. I figured I could then plug the PSU into an inverter and hook the inverter into a switched 12v source in the car.

When I tried the setup with the PSU plugged into an A/C outlet in the house, the PSU wouldn't power up. After trying a few PSU's and determining that they were all functional, I figured out that I coudn't get any PSU powered up without it being connected to a motherboard.

My question is, how do you get a PSU to turn on without it being connected to a motherboard/computer?

Thanks!

Are you sure that's the way you want to go? it seems like a lot of work for no reason. if it's a portable DVD shouldn't it run off your car 12v system? Same for the monitors. What you might need is a regulator to get a constent 12v but if these are made for automobile use you probably don't even need that.

Comment

theres 2 wires on the psu that you bridge to get it to power up w/o a mobo

i remeber seeing a tutorial for running dual ATX powersupplies in a computer a while back.

i dont know which wores though, sorry

Comment

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9208

Just jump pins 13 and 14, see the page I linked to.
        2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Short pin 14 to ground (pin 13).
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Do it all the time with a paperclip
            [H]4 Life
            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
            I'm a lesbian too.
            I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
            X