Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full ATX mobo and req. power

Hi all,

yep, im relatively new to posting, no, not new to reading or ing, BUT, i have spent many work hours (might aswell learn while someone else pays me!) trying to find out if the opus 150w would power a normal P3 667 full sized mobo with a mx440 vid card, 512mb ram, dvd drive and a tv tuner card?

any ideas if that would work, i've tried about 15 different "wattage calculators" and all are as varied as the surrounding continents...

if the opus is a no-go for the full sized mobo, would a 150w opus power supply substitue a 200w power supply for an asus "X" series (smaller mobo) with a P4 2.8ghz running similar peripherals?? (i could use a laptop HDD in the asus to keep power consumption down) both setups would ultimately need to run a USB GPS reciever too..

plz help, im tearing my hair out with the amount of time researching power consumption figures, when i should be drawing up my blue-print

Hilux Surf (4runner) install
    false floor in rear housing;
    4 channel amp
    600w cont. inverter.
    Also- DigitalWW 7VGA indash
    headunit for FM/AM,DVD,SVCD,CD,MP3
    P4 3.0 with low profile AGP card.
    4x4" speakers (splits) in factory locations
    BU-303 GPS

I have much the same set up. Opus is going to release a 220W power supply in 30-60 days. They are also adding some new features, if you can I would hold off until then.

I am.
    2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
    2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
    Sound Stage
    Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Comment

thanks

thanks Zip, i may just hold out, ohhh, but i want it all now, now now!! hahaha

thanks Timmy, that is one of the many many wattage calcs i found on the net, it varies greatly between each site... so, which one to trust eh?
        4 channel amp
        600w cont. inverter.
        BU-303 GPS

Comment

I can't speak for the OPUS 150 watt pwersupply, but I have a media PC using a cheapo sparkle 200 watt PS, and I have no power issues with the following hardware:

Chaintech Micro-ATX board
          AMD Athlon XP 2500+
          2x256 pc3200 RAM
          MSI [email protected] TV tuner
          D-Link 802.11g 54 mb wireless card
          80 gig 3.5 HD
          250 gig 3.5 HD
          Lite-on 4x DVD Burner
          CPU fan
          80mm pusher fan (with LEDs, not much more power used, but 60 extra HP like NAAAAAWS)
          2x 60mm puller fans

Now it does use the on board sound/video/LAN so I don't have any of those add on cards. I also use various USB items with it, like a modem, and haven't ran into any power related issues either. It boots from the 80 gig drive, and the 250 gig drive is for capturing to, mp3s, encoding, and junk files.

Comment

Originally posted by -zip-
            Opus is going to release a 220W power supply in 30-60 days. They are also adding some new features, if you can I would hold off until then.
            Don't expect it before next year.

Comment

sniff
              2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
              Sound Stage
              Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Yes the Opus 150W will work just fine for your setup.
                When Opus says 30-60 days they actually mean 300-600 days.
                AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

But Kaitech said 30-60 days

... but then again he said 30 days 60 days ago

Zip-Lock any idea on cost yet? You can tell me, I swear I will keep it just between us two.
                  Sound Stage
                  Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

hahaha, true.

i too sent an email to OPUS, and "Fernando" promptly replied to me that it will be available in 30-40 days, and gave me the closest supplier to me, which is in NZ (although im in Sydney, but anyway). It was great to get a prompt response, just wish the p/sups would be as prompt..

Tried to contact this NZ supplier, but have had no response as yet, and the only way to contact them is via email

well, if the opus 150w will cut it, i might just go with that, beats forking out for an inverter...
                    4 channel amp
                    600w cont. inverter.
                    BU-303 GPS

Comment

Fishy,

220 Opus Thread

Here is the 220 thread I am watching, Kaitech has some kind of link to Opus and is giving us little hints of what is to be expected.

I am still going to wait. It is almost winter here in Canada it can get to -20C or more. So even though the Opus is my last piece needed, I want to be able to expand my puter with no power issues. Already I am thinking of adding a Powermate, Wireless Keyboard, Mouse, Power/STBY switch, Flash card, second hard drive in the cabin etc. Cheap add ons but the power all adds up.

Sydney is a great place to live i bet, no friggin -20C. Let me know how the 150 handles it!
                      Sound Stage
                      Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Fishy, who is the NZ supplier of the Opus?

I can maybe go see them if they're in Auckland...

Comment

Working...
                        X