Extension possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension possible?

Ok thanks to the guys who schooled me on power supplies, I read some articles and realized when I said power supply you guys thought of actual power supplies and I was thinking of a big wire with a plug at the end. Basically thinking "an Opus has no wire connected to it how am I gonna plug it into a wall?" Yeah I am dumb.

Anywho, I am building an Xbox system in my car and I wanted to put the power button up front of the car built into the dash and the xbox in the trunk. Now my plan was to rewire the power button and make it longer...

basically taking that yellow clump of wire and extending each one with a 7 foot piece of wire the same gauge.

Now I am sure most of you are like "WTF!" and I am sure there is a MUCH easier way to do this...so I wanted to ask you guys what you would do if you were me?

go on xbox-scene and look for the tutorial for putting a power button on a controller. I would think that would be easier than extending all those wires.
    Compaq v6719 Athlon X2 tk-57
    Xenarc 7" Dash Install, iGuidance w/ iGPS 500
    HD Radio, Powermate, ShuttleXpress, XMDirect, DC/Auto turn on, Pioneer TS-C720PRS, 2 12" MTX BTE's, JL 500/1 and RBC

94.3% of all percentages are made up

Comment

thanks man, will do. Keep thinking that board is just about attatching chips

Comment

of course you can extent them.... i've done it before.. there is just 3.3 and 5v i think... nothing at all problematic...
        Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
        Screen: Lilliput 7" touchscreen (Custom made Carbon Fiber Screen Enclosure)
        S2000 Carputer

Comment

Originally posted by darkhalo
          of course you can extent them.... i've done it before.. there is just 3.3 and 5v i think... nothing at all problematic...

so you just clipped them and extended each one? if so how did it turn out? Did it effect it at all?

Comment

how about using cat 5 cable to extend it, 8 strands of wire in cat5 cable
            Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Hmm interesting concept Nic

Comment

Yeah i did just extend them...

As far as using cat 5... i love using it... but i doesn't fit this application.
                Soldering solid to stranded doesn't work out to well... make sure to use heat shrink..
                Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
                S2000 Carputer

Comment

too bad there are 9

Comment

Originally posted by darkhalo
                    Yeah i did just extend them...

As far as using cat 5... i love using it... but i doesn't fit this application.
                    Soldering solid to stranded doesn't work out to well... make sure to use heat shrink..
                    where did you get the wire? what gauge was it?

Comment

remember dude... just cut one at a time.. so you don't get confused...
                      S2000 Carputer

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyUSF
                        ...so I wanted to ask you guys what you would do if you were me?

Personally...I would take the switches out of the PC board and extend just those connections via the cat5 cable discussed to a couple nice looking switches in dash/console. Those surface mount switches are too hard to work with.

Just my $.02
                        2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Working...
                        X